Lawnmower engine orientation law?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by rohmell, May 28, 2010.

1. rohmell

rohmell LawnSite Member
    from ny

Lawnmower engine orientation law?

I have limited space in my garage, so I store my lawnmowers hung up on the garage wall with a hook. Years ago in the 1970s and 1980s, you could buy a 4 cycle lawnmower (usually with a Briggs & Stratton engine) with the sump facing the front and the cylinder head facing the operator. If the lawnmower was stored in a vertical position the oil would go toward the sump and cause no problem.

I have looked at all of the new mowers at the big box stores, and they all have the cylinder head towards the front and the sump toward the operator. If this type of lawnmower was stored vertically, the oil would run into the breather, and into the muffler or carb and cause problems. Of course, a 2-cycle engine doesn't have this problem, but I think no new mowers with 2 cycle engines are allowed to be sold in the USA anymore.

Is there some sort of law or something that dictates that new mowers must have the cylinder head facing
    towards the front?

2. tryingtomakeit

tryingtomakeit LawnSite Member

No laws that I'm aware of, however, on these newer units, you might leak gas or trans oil if you hung it like that....

3. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Hang it from the front!

Oldtimer