lawnmower envy!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mdw, Aug 30, 2001.

1. mdw

mdw LawnSite Member

Because of a family loss, I now have to take care of my mom's property. This was a 5+ hour job on a 48" Cub Cadet. Tonight I bagged it on my mom's brand new eXmark Lazer HP(52", 23hpKaw) in 1 hour and 35 minutes.

Thanks for those of you who helped me select a mower. Now for the advice...How do I deal with the envy of my mother's lawn mower? Do you think she'll let it sleep over at my house?

It is truely a fine cutting machine! I loved everything about it.

Dave

2. What kind of car do you drive? Maybe you could buy a small trailer and move it to your house to do your property?

3. RMDoyon

RMDoyon LawnSite Member

Stop bagging.
    Stop all bagging.

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

c'mon dave, shaving 3 hours and 25 minutes off of a 5 hour job with a mower only 6 inches wider...? howinthehell did you do that!?:confused:

I know what everyone is going to say "yo GEO, the cub is a homeowner POS and the exmark is a professional machine!"

but those numbers still don't work for me!:alien:

5. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

It was taking my Dad over sixhours to mow his three acres, now it only takes 2.5 hours with scag 48 wb belt driven.It took a few years of talk and hype from me.I can walk it in under two hours in fourth gear walking it.(not fun)It's amazing to see how much time you save going from a lawn tractor to a walk behind.;)

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

He would knock it down to less than 1 hour with a 60" ZTR. :D

A friend of mine had his 48" tractor break down and it took him around 4 hours to mow his. I came out and mowed it for him in 43 minutes. He ended up buying an old Chopper from me with 2500 hours on it 3 seasons ago and it is still mowing great for him. ;

A used commercial mower is way better than buying these home owner mowers and I see a lot of home owners going this route now.

7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Geogun, maybe the hour meter is broken,, just kidding.
    My MTD Pro Z 54" will cut almost twice as much area as my 48" Walker in the same amount of time. Faster ground speed and less overlap is the reason I think. Of course it also depends on the amount of obstacles.

8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

fivestar--your numbers are worse than jeffs!

if I couldnt mow but a half acre an hour on a lawn tractor I'd blow my brains out! hey wait, that sounds risky!LOL

thanks eric for the chime in. I think I know enough not to challenge you on a chopper!

I guess I am glad that I bought a commercial mower when I went in the biz. I have never used a homeowner mower for the puropse of making money. I am disappointed that in another thread someone called LESCO a homeowwner machine.

GEO

9. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

geo- give me a break. 3 acres on flat I can do in an hour in my sleep w/ 60" machine. bumpy and obstacles, different story. the ztr not only helps turns, but helps time by letting you go faster in thin areas, slower in thick without shifting. at over 1000 posts, why am i explaining this to you? Dave g

10. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

GEOGUNN---------Sorry man, it's the truth.:D