lawnmower pull cord

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by cozmo2023, May 20, 2003.

1. cozmo2023

cozmo2023 LawnSite Member
    from CA

i have a 3.5 really old push mower, don't ask me the manufacturer, the stickers have been rubbed off. anyway, i went to start it the other day and the pull didn't stuck back in. so i took off the part containing the sprring and wound it back up but when i pull the cord there is little tension and it doesn't suck back up. how would i fix this, does it need a new spring?

2. Hud

Hud LawnSite Member

The purpose of the spring is to recoil/pull the starter rope back on when you start the mower. When reassembling, you have to tighten the spring a number of turns without the rope being wrapped on the spool so that when you release the tension on the spring, the spring will pull the rope onto the spool.

Obviously, you don't have a manual to determine the number of turns to make to get the rope to recoil onto spool. I repaired the pull rope/recoil assembly on my Echo blower the other day. I tightened the recoil spring totally then backed off one full turn before I released it to let the rope coil onto the spool. The backing off 1 (one) full turn is so when you go to start it, you don't accidentally overtighten the spring, and break it.

And if you already did this, and there is still no tension, perhaps the recoil spring is broken? Good luck!

3. cozmo2023

from CA

thanks
    this might seem stupid but, when you say to tighten the spring without the rope being wrapped on the spool do I have to take the rope off or pull it out to its maximum extent? and if you could how would I tighten the spring?

4. Hud

Hud LawnSite Member

Well, in some cases, depending on the unit, you can wind the spring with the spool, then thread the rope into the spool/tie a knot, and then let the spring wind the rope onto the spool. I'm not that coordinated.

I do it with the rope, spool, & recoil spring all assembled, but the rope not wound. There's often a notch in the side of the spool where you can tuck the pull rope while your tightening the spring. While the rope is in the notch, and your holding it up from the spool while you wind the spring with the spool, the rope is just going round and round with the spool, not wrapping onto the spool. Once the spring is where you want it, you slip the rope back down into the spool where it normally resides, release the spool and spring, and the recoil of the spring winds the rope onto the spool.

5. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

You can also wind the rope on the pulley, put the pulley back into place. Prewind spring about three time and the put the rope through the rewind housing. Before adding handle pull rope to full extension and check that the spring is not bound(twist pulley by hand some more). If the spring is not bound tie a loose knot in rope to stop complete rewind. Add pull handle to rope and untie knot. Also if spring is not bound and and rewind action is weak you can prewind spring an extra turn, however check for spring bindage at full rope extension.

6. cozmo2023

from CA