1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawns are SMOKED!!!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rcreech, Aug 1, 2012.

1. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

We have been getting a little rain here where I live and a lot around our marketing area and you can see the lawns that are recovering and the lawns that are not.

For the most part...lawns in full sun are smoked!!!!

It is going to be a crazy fall for seeding and renovating.

I can't believe how lawns in the shade are recovering.

That direct/full sun wacked the crap out of them.
  2. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

the renovation season sounds great, but with no rain expected for even our fall, it is actually looking quite grim here.

btw, sup rod, not talked in quite some time.
  3. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

We have many that if I drove by and threw a match out the window as I drove by they would explode. Some are big lawns out in the country and some are small ones without irrigation. Some people have just given up trying to keep them watered. It was 110 Monday, 107 yesterday and today it was supposed to be 106.
    I'm leaving a "drought" flyer at the ones I pass by. I'm treating irrigated lawns and ones that are still in decent condition. Just enough of them to keep me/myself somewhat busy. Had to lay my guys off.
    Up until a couple of weeks ago, the larger companies were doing lawns no matter what they looked like. I think people are getting pissed. Ive heard through the grapevine people are starting to call in on them. I hope me being responsible about this will pay off later.

Grassman...good to see you post.:waving:
  4. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

hey ted, i am on here, but dont post as much cuz most topics are typical newbie threads, and i have been more in irrigation right now.
  5. Service 1st Lawn Care

Service 1st Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Looked at the national long term forecast, although they obviously can be wrong they have this drought warm weather going clear into 2013. Makes me wonder if will even have any snow this winter, all can change at this time doing a lot of praying it does. Smoked lawns don't seem to be stopping the national companies and the large franchises. SHAMEFUL:confused:
  6. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Our lawns have been smoked for at least 7 + weeks now. Now were starting to see death in the dormant lawns from the lack of water. Getting very depressing.

I got in a second round of fert late spring, in the rain, and since then I've shut down everything to do with lawn apps.

Only good thing from my apps this year is with the barricade I put down and the herbicide app, my smoked lawns don't have hardly any weeds in them if at all.

7. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I talked to a local irrigation supplier today and got owners manuals on a couple of the most common control units and told them to give me a "heads up" on any workshops/classes Rainbird or Hunter is going to put on over the next few months. Repairs could be filling in the gaps right now. I have a large customer base to tap in to and just haven't. There is a local company with several employees that does nothing but repairs. The owner does his best to avoid new installs altogether...He makes a very good living doing nothing but irrigation repairs.

AGREED! Some people can sleep at night no matter what they do...
  8. BonesMalone

BonesMalone LawnSite Member

Just hope the Barricade is gone in September when you overseed, my guess it will still be there because the lack of rain this summer. Just my 2 cents worth.
  9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Well, good news is that its cooling down next week with highs in the low 80's to upper 70's. Will it help, probably not. I'm sick of watching the weather, did it all last winter waiting on snow, now waiting on rain. Everything I hear is bad for this upcoming winter too.
  10. olcllc

olcllc LawnSite Member