lawns are toasted in connecticut

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by agrolawn81, Sep 27, 2007.

1. agrolawn81

agrolawn81 LawnSite Member

I've been doing treatments for 15 years and haven't seen lawns this dry for end of september. Wondering how everyone is making out with aerations, seedings and ferts here on the east cost where everyone is pretty much bone dry from Maine to Georgia. Maybe some showers in here in Ct Fri. a.m. but after Fri. no rain in forecast for next 7 days!!!!
  2. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

sucks huh. lawns look like crap. the rain we're supposed to get isn't going to make a dent. aerations will be put back yet even farther. the time we get rain, it'll be too late to seed. the temps are nice for bluegrass, but getting a customer to water is like pulling teeth.
  3. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Very dry here too. About 50 miles to the west of me has gotten several inches of rain over the last 2 days. Nothing here yet. I have all but 3 solid days of aerations and seeding done, however, the results are not being seen yet for those not watering like crazy. This season is nothing like the last few aeration seasons which were great weather wise with great results. Hopefully October will bring a change with some time left for seeding. This weather does frustrate for sure.
  4. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Our soil in North GA is more like concrete right now. We are also having to delay aeration and seeding of Fescue until some moisture is available.
  5. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

our area has a lot of toasted lawns right now, but it's not due to lack of irrigation. everyone here has sprinkers and runs them 3 or 4 times a week at least. The thing is that here the housing market is in turmoil and in the new subdivisions two or three houses on each block have been foreclosed on. with the water shut off at the foreclosed properties, we've got dead lawns all over the place.
  6. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Well, so much for the rain here. NADA. Had to call customers the other day to up the irrigation schedule b/c the aerator was just bouncing across the lawns. Seeding is very slow this year b/cof the lack of rain.
  7. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

This is my 30th season in this crazy business & i have never seen it this dry!