Lawns burning after app.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by vvcchamb, May 13, 2011.

1. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

We spray liquid N at 1/8lb....sometimes a 1/4 if it's Umaxx.
  2. vvcchamb

vvcchamb LawnSite Member

Heat is not the problem. 60s for highs. I agitate between apps and it's a pressured cross tank agitation.

The N rate is high, but not more than I have always applied. This season is the only variable, and not all lawns are browning. Only a select few, and mostly in areas that are shaded and probably stay damp but I always apply less in shaded areas. That is why I wonder about fungus.
  3. vvcchamb

vvcchamb LawnSite Member

I get the point. But what is the difference this season as opposed to the previous 10? My lawns are the thickest, greenest and most healthy in town. I still wonder about the fungus.
  4. vvcchamb

vvcchamb LawnSite Member

If it was N burn, there would be a thick green ring around the burn. That is NOT the case here. The effected area tapers off at the edges.
  5. GrandMaster

GrandMaster LawnSite Member
    from Utah

Yes 1.5oz per k max etc. 4 bags urea for 300gal is little rich for what you need. Someone spiked you with gly...
  6. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

anything but fungus?
  7. Dave Stuart

Dave Stuart LawnSite Member

24D, mecaprop, MCPA are standard phenoxy's used in 3way herbicide mixtures.
    Dicamba is a systemic and in the benzoic acid class /also common in 3 way blends.
    Then there are the newer chemistries with fast leaf cuticle penetration and translocation that are in today's blends clopyralid & fluoroxypr / trade names confront and momentum.
    Mecamine D is composed of 24D, mecaprop and dicamba, the same as the old trimec 992 - it's rates are 3 to 4 pints per acre ( standard for efficacy with this product ) the only difference are the amine salt percentages slightly.

If the turf is herbicide damaged there will be epinasty ( twisting and curling of the leaf from the rearrangement of cells in the leaf mesophyll ) even monocots such as turf grass can only tolerate so much herbicide. This is a key indicator that the broadleaf material was the culprit.
    If the urea did the damage the turf will stay erect and become uniformly chlorotic ( yellow ) at 1st, then become uniformly brown / lose its elasticity or cell turgor from salt damage and finally wilt.

Use these as indicators for the future, hopefully you never experience this again.

Dave Stuart MA/ plant physiology, soil science.