Lawns getting crunchy in the northeast

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by General Grounds, Jul 6, 2003.

1. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: well with all the rain we had in may and june i can actually say that the recent heat has my lawns starting to get crunchy and brown. hows everyone else doin? tony

2. Live4Mowin'

Live4Mowin' LawnSite Member

same here in nebraska to my lawns that arent getting watered constantly:(

3. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

it was starting to do the same thing until we got a little bit of rain the other day. now its starting to green up a little bit with more rain for the next few days.

4. TaussigLawnCare

TaussigLawnCare LawnSite Member

I have a few too what should I do they don't have time to water every other day and I sure don't.

5. Four Star

Four Star LawnSite Member

my lawns here are starting to dry out as well. People don't water anything around here. looks like last year is starting to repeat itself.

6. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

some lawns are getting browned, but all my big annual contracts are green and thats all that matters

7. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

General,
    We had a nice downpour yesterday afternoon, it really perked up the annuals and perrennials that were flagging, our lawns are drying up here too. Maybe this shower will help.

Do you notice how rock hard the ground is as soon as it got a little dry? I think all the spring rain settled the soil and closed all the pore spaces, it's like cement.

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

oh yea, i especially noticed them the last 2 days. brown and crunchy, and cutting badly.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Just starting to see it up here too, tony. Last week was the first time this year we didn't have to double cut most of the lawns. Got a feeling soon if we don't get some rain we'll be going to a bi-weekly schedule.

10. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

I think your right. We had so much water saturating the soil for sooooooo long and then no rain, until today, for 2 weeks. I'm going to be doing some heavy-duty aeration this year!