Lawns turning brown after cutting

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by 130perweek, Jun 21, 2009.

1. These lawns are a Monday cut....I might be in the area tomorrow (not working, just in the area), so maybe I'll stop by these houses and take a look.

2. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Chris, I agree with Riggs.... the issues we are facing are from fungus problems number one, and excessive top growth due to rain, cutting down to stems. These two things together are making freshly cut lawns look bad... they look better 2 days later after the new top growth hides the damage.

I raised my decks from 3 to 3 1/2 inches, which has helped, but the cut does not look as neat and clean. I think I prefer some stringers over brown...

And did you read my last post?

3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly, I don't think anyone could have said it any better.

4. GracesLandscaping

GracesLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

wow your only mowing once every two weeks!?!?!? your only an hour away from me and if i waited two weeks my lawns would need a bush hog.... my lawns are allstill growing like its late april!;)

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

90 degree weather will do it, 3.5" is a bit marginal especially if you're cutting off that much, I'd go 3.75"
    Be aware come July it slows down even more, for those you've been cutting every 2 weeks start thinking 2-3 weeks.

Now, to a point some is inevitable too, although you're one of the few members I've met who actually appears to concern
    yourself with this, most seem to care only about the money, but then this is the real reason why we're in business.

6. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

We'll actually topsites me just a lonesome homeowner :)

My lawn is my summertime hobby and learning a bit more every year :clapping:

and yea, 3.75" was this week and I can still go one more knoch up which I think was 4.02"

New Mower so I'm still getting used to this beast :walking:

7. Heidi J.

Heidi J. LawnSite Senior Member

try sharpening blades more frequently and cut no more than 1/3 of grass blades

8. White Gardens

Where does the cut no more than 1/3 rule come from. I've only heard that for pruning trees and shrubs, never for turf.

I've always been informed to keep cool season grasses between two and three inches for the best results.

9. White Gardens

10. bighaydenslawn

bighaydenslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Yepp, the good ole 1/3 rule.

Can't break it without consequences.