Lawns turning brown!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smallstripesnc, Jun 28, 2012.

1. smallstripesnc

smallstripesnc LawnSite Senior Member

Hello everyone,

If you saw my post yesterday you'd know I was having issues with my mower and was considering a new unit. I found the part to fix my scag but my carpal tunnel still is killing me but I'll live.

A lot of my lawns are turning brown. I have a 36 inch scag belt drive walk behind with the older original deck. It keeps ripping the grass tips no matter what how sharp the blades are. I have the Gator G6 blades and the engine is a 12.5HP Kohler command. I believe my lawns are dying even faster because the tips are getting ripped but of course with 100 degree heat and no rain/water its going to die.

What do you all do to keep money coming in when it gets like this?

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I've planned on it being like this since the beginning... every year, nonirrigated lawns are going to dryup(except last year)... the grass is stressed and it shows in your 'brown tips' no matter how sharp your blades are... I've already stopped mowing non-irrigated lawns 3-4 weeks ago...
    Mowing stressed turf is not a good thing, although we will do a fresh mow for the 4th... that will likely be an unpleasant dusty experience... :(

3. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

Also not sure if a Gator blade is the best blade for this time of year. Think they create to much turbulence to give a clean cut. Just my two cents an at.

4. BINKY1902

BINKY1902 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from South

When the lawns are in that bad of shape, putting your mower on it is only going to make it worse. The best thing is to target irrigated lawns and commercial properties.

5. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

sell an irrigation system.

6. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

I think I'll subscribe to every drought thread and go into a deep depression.

7. Duekster

from DFW, TX

I do every thing in my power to pre-condition my lawns in the spring for drought and watering restrictions. Some still crisp up but then they need work later to recover.

8. OnaLawn

OnaLawn LawnSite Member

Cutting dry grass is the worse, its just as bad as rolling over fresh dog poop.

9. TuffWork

TuffWork LawnSite Senior Member

If they don't water at all this won't help, but I put out a moisture manager this time of year. Last year I used Revive, but this year I'm using the Lesco moisture manager. The good news about this is you can make some money on it if you buy in bulk (same way as you do granular fertilizer- just use your head). You don't have to have a pesticide license to spray it either. It's organic as it's just humectants (sugars).

10. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Lable and basic price pls