1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dtxwizard, Dec 7, 2005.

1. dtxwizard

dtxwizard LawnSite Member

thinking about adding the word lawnscaping to my adds hoping it will imply that i don't want to do any heavy duty landscaping.

just want to do garden beds and small jobs I don't have the equipment for the big stuff and don't believe in renting equipment or anything else for that matter

what do you think?

thanks da wiz
  2. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

Light Landscaping may be a better term. JMO
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I think i would just put landscaping. worst comes to worst, you go to see the job and it is too big for you. Then as you expand, you can begin taking on these bigger jobs without having to change much as far as any truck lettering, flyers or signs. Just my .02
  4. chopsticks33

chopsticks33 LawnSite Member

is there a real meaning for 'lawnscaping'??
  5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

there is alot more to landscaping then the mowing business, ther is lots to learn and to be a true landscaper takes years of experience and knowledge. Ture landscaperes will take offence to being called a landscaper if all you are dong is small bed renovations.......

which im not yet, but learning.....
  6. mad_wrestler

mad_wrestler LawnSite Senior Member

One thing for certain in any business. You have have to separate yourself some how some way from your competitors. I like the lawnscaping idea. Maybe try "lawn"scaping...nah that doesn't look right. I don't think anything negative would come from it...except from your competitors. It would definitely trigger a memory response to possible new customers. I like it! Nice play on words.
  7. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Recently had a call to add gravel and scrape a long driveway. No way so referred them to a guy with a big Massey with a loader and blade.

Like you say, just renting the equipment is difficult enough to do, much less buying everything to do everything.
  8. maui8

maui8 LawnSite Member
    from nj

do you guys read books about light landscaping, figure what to do, and next time a client asks if you can do the job, you'll be prepared to say "sure i can do it, but im very new to this, etc....?"
  9. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't try to seperate different aspects to your business just yet.
    Build a large client base, expose your buisness and name as much as possible.
    It will prove much more benefical to your business plan to look at jobs and not to accept them now than it is to identify with a market threshhold that is minimally profitable as compared to more indepth landscaping.
  10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I have found that when I run into something to big for me, I made a Great friend here from this board and he takes all my run-overs like that, he also sends me business, sometimes it's too little for him..

So if ya wanna add the word, maybe you could have a backup, someone you can refer the customer too.

Sharing Business Works GREAT, and you never have to tell a customer NO