Lawnsite.com Franchise Mowing???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by boohoo, Dec 26, 2002.

1. boohoo

boohoo Banned
    from USA

Just a thought. Perfect opportunity here to have 1000+ Lawnsite members accross the nation form a corporation & list it on the NYSE. We could have market share in every county across the country. Leads to national mowing accounts, group insurance, group marketing, immigrant workers, Sub your Fert etc to Lawnsite.com fert ....tree.....hardscape....etc and not have to worry about them steeling your account. Any new sales lead in your area goes directly to you. hmmmm I think it may have been done before. Who knows after 2 years Service Master may buy it for 20 times its worth. Lets say a start date Jan 1st 2004. Any thoughts.

2. devildog

devildog LawnSite Senior Member
    from sc

There are no rational defences except fear, oposing the impact of a new idea.....why not? With Regards... devildog

3. MPhillips

MPhillips LawnSite Member
    from zone 7

count me in...

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Hummm...I have a couple of questions:

(1) Who is going to be in charge? From where?
    (2) Are you going to a have a Board of Directors?
    (3) How will you establish membership requirements?
    (4) If it's on the NYSE, how will you issue shares? Valued at?
    (5) And then there are a thousand more questions.

Not to rain on your parade, but this would take a lot of effort and even more than that, a whole ton of $$$.

5. With many of the questions I have seen asked on here, I wouldn't want to be assotiated with it.

That means you will be bringing in the 12 year old kid (that lied when he registered) into a multi million dollar liability.

Cannot and will not work!!!

6. boohoo

boohoo Banned
    from USA

I hope that 12 year old kid has a minimum $10000 to invest. He would have to show proof of insurance.
    1. 10000 could buy you a territory.
    2. Any sales lead commercial/residential in that territoy goes directly to you.
    3. Royalties would be paid to Lawnsite.com (say 3% of gross).
    4.Everyone keeps there current business names initially but have signage "proudly part of the lawnsite.com group"
    5.This isnt for scrubs!!!
    6. Proof of insurance not negotiable.
    7. Financing available.
    8.Training seminars.
    8A. Lot easier to later sell.
    9. Say 10000 bought you the rights to memphis. (The king is dead). Your area could be sold into smaller areas. Each smaller area would pay royalties to you and to lawnsite.com
    10. "I aint paying 10000.....well you may land one account worth that the first year. Start dealing with regional managers and account size starts @ $50000.
    11. % commission on all sales you refer/sub to a lawnsite group member.

Maybe a Superbowl ad too!
    Justt a thought....
    Has been done before.

7. MPhillips

MPhillips LawnSite Member
    from zone 7

if everyone sends me $1000...I'll invest it wisely. All joking aside these kinds of groups/associations are really increasing in popularity...in our industry look at the Symbiot Group for example...they're already 2nd or 3rd largest landscape org in country...with good partner and affiliate benefits.

8. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I think Phil Nilsson once talked about this as a "Mega Merger". I find the concept interesting, but very difficult to encourage a solo guy to hand the reigns over to an entity.

I like the idea of tossing application or landscape work to a non competitor.

The 12 year old kid scenario. Kids may post here on lawnsite, but do not affect my business. If they affect your business, you have big problems. They shouldn't be a factor in this idea.

9. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the NYSE listing is a little grand to begin. If an individual or group of individuals could begin this scenario in a local or county level, thus dominating the market share in that locality. Then enter an new market with the same or similar formula, much easier when there is a proven example of success, the idea would snowball. After a few successes in several markets, a stock offering may be a consideration? Only as a way to raise more capital for expansion.

To start this in many markets at the same time will end up causing rivalries amongst the markets. A one front war would be the easiest one to manage.

10. nu83

nu83 LawnSite Member
    from omaha

Well the NYSE is out of the question. In order to be listed on the New York Stock Exchange you have to meet some very high criteria. Thes are not all but you I know you have to have 200 share holders with 100 shares each, 1,100,000 outstanding shares, a market value of $100,000,000. There are many more including, if they think you are in their opinion "worthy" of being listed.
    I dont see why I would want to own the company, I just want the leads, right? How is the company going to make money? How would your corporation get the leads? Nationwide marketing? Its an interesting idea, elaborate on your idea some more.