LawnSite.com Part of A Family

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Sean Adams, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

Since this is the very first blog entry, I want to explain a few things about this site and the exciting things we have in store for this community as well.

First - for those of you who do not know what a "blog" is, you are not alone... I read this morning that random people were polled in New York City and they were asked what a blog is - less than half had a clue.... So here is a definition...

Blog - which stands for "Web LOG" is a journal kept on the Internet. This journal is often updated and contains all information that the person maintaining the BLOG (the blogger) wishes to share with the audience. ...

LawnSite.com is a very large forum. There are a lot of people who use this site for many reasons. At the time I am writing this, we are almost at 70,000 registered members. Crazy, huh?

It has been a very interesting experience watching this site grow from the early days (lawnicure.com and hallofforums.com) as some of you veterans may recall, to what it is now - the largest and most visited web site in the entire green industry.

But this is where things are really going to get exciting. As some of you may or may not know, I was the owner of LawnSite.com (and PlowSite.com) up until October of 2006.

Knowing the potential of the site, I made the decision that it was time for me to accept the fact that I had taken the site as far as I could take it on my own. It was time to find a solution - a way to keep the site moving forward and find ways to make the site better. It was that simple....

Moose River Media, the publisher of TURF Magazine, Landscape Construction Magazine, Tree Services Magazine, and others, who we have had a long relationship with, took over ownership officially at the end of 2006. I am still involved in the same fashion as I was before, just a different "title" now.

Now Moose River is not just another media company or publishing company. The true reason I chose to partner and turn the forums over to this company was because these people really truly care about the Green Industry. They are normal people like you and me - not stuffy, suit-wearing types....:dizzy:

This is very important because if any other company would have gotten their hands on this community, they probably would have made so many changes that none of us would even recognize it.

They understand that "landscapers" and particularly the ones who are members of this community are "cut from a different cloth". There is an atmosphere around this forum that really makes it special. I know this for sure because I study every forum I can find, and rarely will you see the kind of comraderie you find at LawnSite.com.

But Moose River Media is not satisfied with things coming to a halt. Since I am a part of Moose River Media (notice my sweet title in my signature line), it is OK for me to say "we" at Moose River Media....

We at Moose River Media are working on adding fantastic new features and options to the forum. We are also soon going to unveil some really impressive, informative, and creative web sites for the magazines that we offer as well.

This is really cutting edge stuff! I guarantee you will enjoy these additions and features and I will update everyone when things are ready.

In the meantime.... remember this....

LawnSite.com is all about the members and Moose River knows this and understands this. I can assure you that the goal is to not only maintain what we have going on here now, but to make things even more informative and educational.

We always want to hear what you think, what you suggest, and what you prefer, so don't be shy.... I probably didn't have to even say that with this group :rolleyes:, but I figured I should end this first blog entry with something that would invite you to speak up!

Thanks for taking the time to read this blog and I promise you that each new entry will be something different and even fun.... I wanted to use this first entry to let you know the intentions for the future of this great site!

Until Next Time....

2. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks! :waving:

3. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

okey doekey

4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

It has been a very interesting experience watching this site grow from the early days (lawnicure.com and hallofforums.com) as some of you veterans may recall, to what it is now - the largest and most visited web site in the entire green industry.

But this is where things are really going to get exciting. As some of you may or may not know, I was the owner of LawnSite.com (and PlowSite.com) up until October of 2006.

Knowing the potential of the site, I made the decision that it was time for me to accept the fact that I had taken the site as far as I could take it on my own. It was time to find a solution - a way to keep the site moving forward and find ways to make the site better. It was that simple....

What about Chuck K., he is the one who actually started these forums.

5. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

No doubt....Chuck started the forums and you can't forget EricELM either - a very significant role was played by Eric in getting the people involved and keeping the conversations on topic and interesting....also, of course the moderators, specifically Jodi, Charles and of course, Michael Donovan. Believe it or not, when the first forum was "tinkered with" it was right around 1998...

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound harsh. I came here quite often for two years before I was a member and some of the original members had a wealth of information. Eric's knowledge was a big help for me in getting started.

Sean, you should tell in this blog about how you entered into the green industry. I would like to know about your lawn/landscaping company that you owned.

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

70K is a great number of registered users, but its not really indicative of the current acitivity, how many active users do we have..... Ie folks who post once a week or more? or how many different people posted at least once in the last calendar year...jst curious

8. Skimastr105

Skimastr105 LawnSite Senior Member

it would be interesting to see those numbers

9. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

That's what I was thinking. I know I am on here sometimes WAY TOO MUCH!:laugh:, so it probably makes up for those who don't get on the site very often

10. IndyChad

IndyChad LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I think it is kinda like a gang. Once your a member you are always a member. I believe you should have to be in business for a certain amount of years before you become a Senior Member. There are some people on here that just mowed their first yard last week and have over 1000 post and Senior Lawnsite Members??????