LawnSite Give Away Winner Is...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sean Adams, Dec 4, 2004.

1. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

MTD man - Congrats!!!! He has won a LawnSite t-shirt, LawnSite mousepad, the hardback book "What It Takes To Be #1" and his choice of $50 cash or high quality work gloves. He chose Jim Lewis as the member he would most like to meet and sit down with....great answer and well thought out!

There were many other good answers as well....Mac and Bobby and Runner got a lot of votes as far as who people would like to sit down with, but read MTD's post below and you can see why he was chosen....

I would like to sit down and talk to Jim Lewis. Why? His posts are always well thought out, he has clear and concise answers to the questions I am interested in, and he has the experience and success that I would like to obtain. He has been a great help to me answering my questions in the past about employees and growth. One answer in particular gave me a perspective I had not considered and totally changed my mind about the subject. His advice and guidance had helped me to get past several issues I had with growth, particularly issues I faced as my partner quit and left me solo, facing the daunting task of growing my business alone.

What questions would I ask? I would ask about his daily operations, how he grew from being a solo operator to having employees, and how that has changed and impacted his role with his business. Mainly I am interested in the way he runs his employees, campaigns for new work, and utilizes his time to his advantage. As the E-Myth says, you should be working ON your business, not IN your business. Jim is definitely someone who works ON his business, and whose business works for him. That's where I want to be, that's the kind of success I want to aim for. I wouldn't want to just sit down with him face to face, I'd ask to be involved with his business for a day to see how things work, to understand how and why he has achieved the success he has.

Altogether, Jim Lewis is a member I greatly respect and who has helped me out with his posts in the past, whether he knows it or not. If I could sit down with him, I would look to further that learning in an effort to achieve the success he owns.
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Teachers pet.
  3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

4. windmill

windmill LawnSite Member

and bobby??? I think there were a lot for him, and olderthandirt.
  5. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Sa-weet! Thanks Sean!

:D :D :D :D
  6. windmill

windmill LawnSite Member

Way to go mtdman, congratulations. Not bad for someone who joined or had their name changed on 01-25-04. Who were you before?
  7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

What does that mean, because he had his name changed, he shouldn't win? :dizzy:
    He wanted his name change to Tom, but it wasn't available... he used to be mtdmaster.

Congrats mtdman, glad you won. Your post about Jim Lewis was a good one.
  8. windmill

windmill LawnSite Member

Oops, touched on something that is sore? Nothing meant by it, just didn't understand the discrepency with the name and join date.Sorry, will stay more silent in the future.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Does Jim Lewis win anything? Only seems fair...
  10. arborist-28

arborist-28 LawnSite Member

Well done mtd mad ...a fun contest :) ...c