1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

LawnSite Member makes the News!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sean Adams, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

2. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Its not working for me, what ever hes done congrats i think.:confused:
  3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

4. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

5. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

The link still works for me.

Heres the story but the link has some pictures.

Recycling gypsum

For a decade, Randy Scott, owner of a hauling company Scott’s Dependable Services Inc., sent materials to a trash dump on Madison Avenue. Six of those years, Scott worked on making a better use for the raw drywall, made primarily of gypsum without paint, glue or plaster.
    On July 6, the Indiana Department of Environmental Management issued Scott a waste handler’s permit.
    Roy’s Recycling, located at 3863 N. County Road 300 West, processes drywall into a fine powder to make gypsum for agricultural uses. Farmers can spread the mineral two to three tons an acre before planting or after harvest, such as Scott’s own 52 acres of corn.
    The farmer’s new business is named after his late grandfather, Roy.
    Gypsum, composed mainly of calcium, potassium and sodium, delivers nutrients to the soil to improve growth. It breaks down clay, loosens soil, reduces compaction and crusting.
    Compaction prevents the plant’s roots from penetrating in the soil and reduces the plant’s ability to find nutrients to the soil, said Ron Chamberlain, owner of agricultural consulting company Cheron Inc.
    Crusting develops when water falls on this soil and creates a thick layer of clay on the surface 3/8 of an inch thick, the consultant said.
    “That prevents the water from flowing through the soil, so it erodes,” Chamberlain explained. “It becomes a waterlogged environment where nutrients cannot be made available. It’s almost like smothering the soil.”
    Crusting leads to plant discoloration and root disease, Chamberlain said.
    IDEM monitors product usage, quarterly lab reports, paper trail on all clients and number of tons to sell annually.
    Roy’s Recycling can house up to 1,500 tons in the 15,000-square-foot barn, selling at $11 a ton.
    The recycling machinery can grind five tons an hour in a 4-foot-deep, 8-foot-wide tub grinder. The end result is an average 93 percent gypsum, 7 percent paper (made of wood pulp).
    Grinding drywall creates dust, so Scott runs the machine while it’s raining to minimize clouds. He intends to install a sprinkler system over the barn doors or a dust-collector system.
    Scott said recycling gypsum is harmless, so he’d liked to see the restrictions lessened.
    Scott touts recycling gypsum because he believes gypsum in landfills can be dangerous.
    Chamberlain agrees.
    “When it’s in a landfill, disposed as a byproduct of construction, with water and no oxygen, gas is produced,” the consultant explained. “And it will obviously become toxic in a closed environment.” David Sprong, of Sprong Farms Inc. located north of Muncie, is the manufacturer’s first prospective client. The 38-year-old farmer intends to purchase 600 tons this year for 1,700 acres of corn.
    Sprong, who farms 3,500 acres including wheat and beans, learned about the mineral’s utility at an Ohio farm show in 1999.
    “Gypsum, in the easiest terms, works like a soil conditioner,” Sprong said. “It’s very commonplace, but it’s only new to central Indiana.”
    Before spreading the mineral over soil six years ago, Sprong used to place 21 percent ammonia sulfate across fields.
    “All commercial fertilizers are petroleum-based,” Sprong said, “so the more we can use organic products the less we have to rely on foreign interests.”
  6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Way to give it back Leadarrows!!
    You did great..I am proud of you!
    Plus what goes around comes around.
    Now come do my place before I get a ticket for fire hazard!
  7. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

thats great that you did that! like you said show the people you care. now that they read that when they're lawn needs to be cut who are they goin to call?
  8. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

9. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

No hoskm01 posted the wrong link. Seans and then again in my post is the right link. They ( Both Links.) work for me.

At least Shes comments make sense to me.

Hum!! Now my story seems kinda anticlimatic. LOL I think what the guy did was pretty cool too. Ended up being cheep advertisement as well. I know ...lots of people around town have said they saw my story in the paper.
  10. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

My company made the local paper a few weeks ago when one of my employees ran the truck over a gas meter and got it stuck. Fire department got called to the scene and the whole block was evacuated until they got the gas shut off. No one was hurt and all it did was dent the bumper pretty good.