LawnSite Radio Show????

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Sean Adams, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

Let me know what you think.

I am thinking about creating a podcast series that will very much resemble a radio show. Initially the show would not be daily, but in time it could become just that.

LawnSite is the biggest collection of people in the lawn care and landscaping industry on the entire planet - anyone who tries and argue that is foolish to do so. That being said, with all of these professionals in one place, it would seem very sensible for there to be a show specifically created for the members of this site - to discuss the site, the industry, business, and even some of the not so industry related topics such as politics, sports, etc...

So much could go on within this show - members could call in to discuss certain topics, respected manufacturers and experts within the industry could be interviewed (just like I did with Gary Patridge), contests could go on, emails could be read on the show, etc, etc, etc....

Now granted, this would not be a "live" broadcast, but who knows, maybe even in time, that could happen too.

I want to know what you think. Would you call in to be interviewed? Would you become a regular listener to the show? What would you want to see on the show? Maybe some regular segments that go on every show (advertising discussion, employee discussion, equipment discussion, etc...)?

Think of what could be discussed! I would do my very best to make it entertaining, informative, and helpful.

Maybe we could even get some companies within the industry to get involved.

Let me know your thoughts.

If you do not want to share them here, email me at sean@mooserivermedia.com.

Thanks for your input in advance.

2. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

I posted this last night and I have received 14 emails already with suggestions. Thanks to those who have emailed me. Feel free to post here as well too - that way we can generate discussion so the "show" can be what you guys want it to be. If not, email is fine.

3. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

My friend had a set up and did an online radio show once a week if he could get guest. And his set up for this little show was huge so initial invest might be kinda of large just something to think about.

4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I think it would be great.

Cable TV shows do a lousy job at showing landscaping in a specific area.

For example, I was watching the DIY network the other day. They show how to do simple but effective ways to upgrade your landscaping. They used landscape timbers to frame in a path and the timbers were basically laid on top of the ground. In my area that wouldn't fly as the frost would heave them in one season. They showed how to do landscaping in a zone that is only compatible to 10% of the US.

If you could make the show extremely informative for most of the cross section of the US then it would be a great idea.

My question is, will you use current members for info on the show as we have helped create the monster that is Lawnsite.

Also, is it financially feasible to do a show like you're considering.

5. lawnproslawncare

lawnproslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I like the idea of a "podcast" type show. what would be nice is to have weekly or monthly topics and maybe you could get some manufacturers to pay for some advertising.

Member call in's/interviews is a excellent idea to get feed back to other members on the state of the landscape community as well as sharing ideas and new technology being implemented.

6. Trenchblade

Trenchblade LawnSite Senior Member

I love the idea. I think it would be great. you are really going to have to put a lot of thought into it to make it great though. Like white gardens was saying about DIY doing the timbers on a walk way just laying on the ground, i see a lot of stuff that people do on those cable shows that do not make any since, and i think it is because they do not have a big group of professionals like we do here. I think that you could do a banging podcast show if you get some of the more knowledgeable people from here to help you out. I would love to be involved in that if you get it going.

7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Wow, that would be great, inovative. Sounds like lots of work and ideas to make it work. I'll get back to you.

8. Brian James

Brian James LawnSite Member

I would be interested in it as long as it did not become an infomercial. As long as real facts and opinions and fair product endorsements were presented I know I would listen. I would even contribute or submit production pieces if I had relevant information to share.

9. stidrvr

stidrvr LawnSite Member

Having a full time job, podcasts are my lifeline to reality. The best things about podcasts is that there usually specific on that genre. That being Lawnsite.com. I know that the idea about talking about whatever is appealing, although I think, atleast for me sports and politics would be a turnoff. Leave that to the other podcasts.

I think it is a great idea, and the initial invest is very low. No need for fancy studios and expensive mics. Just get the information out there.

10. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

wow, i need to get out more, i dont even know what podcasts are. i dont tweet. i was the last to know what facebook is. if i knew how to watch it, it would be nice.