LawnSite Spring Contest - Win $212.00 In Prizes

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by Sean Adams, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

Now that it is the middle of March (even though we have snow on the ground right now), Spring is right around the corner. I thought it would be nice to have a contest of some sort with the winner receiving something nice that would help them get ready for the season.

So here is what I had in mind..... Head to toe gear for the season....

A Pair of High Quality 6 inch Water Proof Work Boots (Value = $118.00)

High Quality Pair of Carhartt-type Khaki Shorts (Value = $35.00)

Short-Sleeve Button Down Carhartt-type shirt (Value = $39.00)

Carhartt-type (Baseball Cap) Duck Hat (Value = $20.00)

Total Value = $212.00

You have a choice - you can select these items I have listed (pictures below), or you can take the $212.00 - your choice.

Here's the Contest - Only One Entry Per Person (Please)

Imagine you have been chosen to stand up in front of thousands upon thousands of members of of the lawn care and landscaping industry. You have 2 minutes to describe what you feel will be the wave of the future in this industry - a prediction so to speak. State your belief and then argue why you feel it will in fact be the "wave of the future". The best argument or idea will win. I will be choosing from the entires. Have fun with this, but be serious.

A145.gif

B141.gif

G6003_reg.jpg

S110.gif

2. get rich

get rich LawnSite Member

Is this idea supposed to be stated in this post as a reply or how do we enter our statement to you? Thanks

3. Sean Adams

Yes, post it here - only entries posted will be elligible to win

4. SharpCutLC

SharpCutLC LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

ok i want in on it.....:clapping:

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

How long will entrys be open?

6. Sean Adams

Post your entry in this thread to become elligible....

7. Sean Adams

I'm thinking maybe til the end of the first week of April or so....

8. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I think solving the long term labor shortage is the problem facing us as we move foreword. The current solutions H2B, "These papers look good to me" etc. are all band aid solutions. You can all wait on the government to solve our problem like they came to the aid of the stranded Katrina victims. Or you can be proactive and look to solve these problems yourself.

I believe the contractor of the future can do two things to ensure he does not go the way of Kodak the king of cameras, film and photo paper in the 70s that went bankrupt just a few years ago.

The first is to modify the services you provide. Lets face it we are a do it yourself nation, and we are a cheap nation. Companies that can provide cheap cookie cutters solutions will always do well, we need look no further than Just Mow Its very successful business model. But that is just the tip of the iceberg. How about those who want to do it themselves? Who will be the first to come up with a model for helping those folks out on the cheap. There is more to lawn care than just cutting grass what about those with irrigation systems, shrubs to trim , flowers that need changing.

Then there are still the labor intensive jobs to be done, where will the labor come from for these? I believe creative business owners will realize its better to have 10-15% of something than 100% of nothing. This will lead to creative working relationships where the employee is more than a piece of equipment disguised with flesh. They will demand opportunity to grow not just the company but their stake in the company. When the company works not as a large company slow to react to market changes, but as many independent small companies that share in the benefits of a larger company. Each one growing at the pace of the of the individual foreman/supervisor- owner. This is a business model that will attract great labor and provide great opportunity. When ever there has been a problem to be solved in this nation we have always reached down and found the solution, this problem is no different.

9. Jcs Lawn and Landscape

Jcs Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Member

i think that the wave of the future will be hybrid lawnmowers. Now that people are becoming so advanced in making hybrid cars and gas conserving machinery i now think that the wave of the future step for the lawn and landscaping industry will be hybrid mowers and other equipment that are hybrids. This can benefit this industry in many ways like keeping your costs on gas down as they continue to rise. Also you will be preserving the toxins that the equipment emits in the air. This is what i think will be the new wave of the future and it took me 2 minutes to do also

10. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I think the next "big thing" is going to be grey water reclamation systems being regularly installed on new residential and commercial sites. Grey water is the used water from your home plumbing, excluding toilet water. A system catches the sink water, shower water, dishwasher water, etc., and purifies it to an acceptable level, making it useable for the landscape. About 70% reductions in water useage could come from these reclamation systems. The micronutrients from the water are maintained, and are not discharged into rivers and streams, which can lead to more eroision problems and soil stabilization issues in fresh water areas,and the micronutrients are depositied back into the soil. In areas where water regulations are the norm, you can recover the water used in your home for providing for your lawn and landscape, without breaking any watering regulations. Many states already offer a substantial "rebate" to homeowners who remove their sod lawns and replace them with artificial turf. I forsee the same incentives and tax credits following grey water systems in the near future.