laws and regulations in IL??

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by get rich, Mar 12, 2004.

1. get rich

get rich LawnSite Member

I was wondering about the rules of the roads for starting up a irrigation division in my lawn care co. Anyone from IL. maybe give me a quick run down on license, and laws?? thanks in advance to all who reply.

2. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

i know nothing about irrigation laws and regualtions in illinois. i know in nj and ct you need to take a state exam for an irrigation license. in ny, there is nothing necessary, state wide. local counties and towns have their own rules.

i saw no responses to your post so i decided to answer for ya.

there has to be someone from illinois here, no?

brian

3. get rich

get rich LawnSite Member

If i'm not mistakin, you have to have a plumbers license to do installs in IL? thanks for info.

4. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

plumber's license??? that is ridiclous...no offense, but what do plumbers know about precipation rates, head to head coverage, et...

brian

5. get rich

get rich LawnSite Member

I guess it's because your hooking up with the main line of water supply to the house and because you have to install back-flow protection. I'm sure that a landscaper could run all the lines and install the heads and stuff,but i'm pretty sure a licensed plumber has to tie it into the main line. And has to be inspected and pass state health code and building code. I don't exactly know, thats why i'm fishing for some answers on here. I think illinois is tough on irrigation.

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

An article I read 2-3 years ago (maybe more) was about the new licensing in Illinois, and yes they were talking about only licensed plumbers being certified for installing or maintaining systems. It also talked about new systems not being able to use poly or PVC for piping as it wasn't approved for drinking or some other BS reason. Not sure how it actually turned out.

7. therainman

therainman LawnSite Member
    from IL

Ill. does not req. that u are a plumber only tha u have a plumber on contract. he must do the main line coonection and "check all main connections." The number of plumbers on contract depends on the no. of emp. u have in comp.
    There are some small loop joles that apear to be in the law. the law calls an irigation sys. by def. to have a cert. no. of people in the county in which u do biz. will look for my copy of the law maybe could fax one to u.
    shawn

8. get rich

get rich LawnSite Member

Thank you Rainman! If you don't mind me asking, where do you opperate in Illinois? Some on this site like thier privacy, so i want fault ya if you one of those few. I'm interrested in learning the irrigation end of lawn care. I'm familiar with the controls, and heads, and been know to hit and fix a line or two. So i'd like to start out turning on and off a system, and adjusting them. And then slowly get into installs. I've been attending seminars and plan on looking into classes through ILCA soon, if work and honey do's ever slow down. I would be very greatful for a copy of state laws and regulation. My fax number is ( 815 ) 332-7966. I just bought a new 4 in one printer and hooked it up. I hope the fax is working i'll try it tomorrow and see for sure. Just me a IM or post after you send it, and i'll get back to you ASAP. Thank you once agin and i look forward to hearing from you.

9. aquamtic

aquamtic LawnSite Senior Member

You should contact your state plumbing board and get up to date regs on doing irrigation.

In Mass there is no such license except for you do need a licensed plumber to connect to main and install backflow

In RHode Island which is about 1/2 a mile from where I live in MA. You need to have a Master Irrigators License to even market yourself as doing anything to do with sprinklers. ANd the requirements to even take the exam are intense.

So every state is different

10. therainman

therainman LawnSite Member
    from IL

sorry for not getting back sooner forgot about the post...
    I am many miles south of u due east of stl 80 miles east of miss river.
    go to ilca.org there are links there for all the info u need. they will help u out greatly. I do not do irr. anymore 14 months only 5 sales and way too much labor I sold out to my hi-priced forman. he bought plow all extra parts and took over all warranty work. in return he performs all my service work very cheap. good luck