Lawsuit over leaves

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by desert rose gardening, Dec 2, 2004.

1. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, I pull up to one of my nicer jobs gaint lawn of fescue. I see the owner on her hand and kness on the turf picking up leaves and putting them in a 5 gallon bucket. I start on the other side of the property, after all I don't want to interrupt her project. I work my way to her and shes mad! She asks me "Do you think I should sue my neighbor?" All their leaves are blowing in MY YARD! She was going on and on and had a story from the paper about someone who sued over some trees. I never did answer her. Is she going to sue? I don't know, this is California.

2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Only in CA. :rolleyes:

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

tell her next time to just put up a snow fence to block out the leaves blowing over

4. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Some of our biggest clean ups are on properties with no trees!!!

5. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

i agree with tiedman......... propose to her to put up a silt fence could be a good money maker for you. LOL

6. tiedeman

from earth

to be honest, it would also scare me as her LCO, what she might pull on you

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Are those available in CA?

8. tiedeman

from earth

they sometimes get snow while they are surfing, don't they?? :)

9. lawncat

lawncat LawnSite Member

This almost sounds like one of the great Bobbies wild stories :waving:

10. dhess

dhess LawnSite Member

We used to have a old senile neighbor that was obsessed with cleaning up leaves in her yard. There wouldn't be a time of day during the fall or winter where you wouldn't see her out in the front cleaning up leaves. I mean it was beyond the point of being healthy and more along the lines of being some sort of mental health problem.

What didn't help is that our house had some of the biggest trees on the block and we were 2 houses up. So when Fall came around and the wind picked up of course a lot of leaves would creep down to her yard. She would of course then retaliate by raking the leaves back up along the curb in front of our house.

So every morning before taking off to work we'd find some new pile out front from her late night/early morning special ops. She never did actually come talk to us about it though, but instead she just seemed to let it eat away at her all the time. Anytime anything (and I mean anytime) was out in front of her yard it was like an alarm. BAM! she would walk out front and give a look up and down the street and shake her head...then rake away.

I see this all the time and in fact it gets to be a big problem during the fall around here. The biggest offenders of course (from my experience) are the old farts that are just sitting around at home all day with nothing to do and along comes the lawn guy so they feel like they got to vent.

Most of the time the dispute over the offending *leaves* is just the tip of the iceberg and the neighbor probably has some other beef going on that is much deeper than just the leaves.

Its amazing how wound up people can get sometimes over little things like this though. We've had one customer's neighbor who went as far as putting up a fence along their property line in the front just to make sure we didn't cut too far over. Personally I'd be pretty happy if my neighbor was cutting part of my yard :)

This just goes to show how important it is to make sure your crews don't blow leaves into someone elses property which can be really tuff on small jobs and heavy winds. We've even gone as far as cleaning up some customer's neighbors leaves just to keep the peace sometimes.