Lawsuits

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ilhmt, Dec 29, 2003.

1. ilhmt

ilhmt LawnSite Silver Member

Has anybody on this board ever been sued? I'm not talking about an occasional "rock through a window", but serious property damage or personal injury in the neighborhood of thousands of dollars. The kind that made you think, "Thank God I had insurance".

2. I don't think they would survive to post on Lawnsite.
    Even if you had adequate insurance that you didn't loose everything, typically your insurance would: (A) Drop you, or (B) become prohibitively expensive.

I think the same thing happens with people who receive debilitating injuries. They just fade away. They're somewhere else now.

As LCO's we're pretty expendable. Just because you don't hear about it, don't think it never happens. It just hasn't happened to a lot of the surviving LCO's.

My credit card company tried to sell me "credit card payment insurance". If I were to become unable to work my credit card payment would be made for 6 months.
    I declined coverage.
    When asked why I told him, "If I become unable to work, making this credit card payment will be the LEAST of my worries!":rolleyes:

Dave

3. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

worst physical property damage i have ever caused was a rock through a car window. knock on wood, nothing more serious has happened to me. carrying insurance is a good idea for when these bigger problems arise.

stay safe.

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i ripped the bumper off a brand new volkswagon, and scraped up the drivers side door. my ins paid for it, and never raised me.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

A couple of years back, I rear ended someone with one of my trucks (trailer brakes decided to take a s*** that day) and I wasn't paying complete attention when it happended.

They instituted a suit for everything under the sun. Medical (husband was now no longer able to provide "service" to wife, back and neck pains, etc.), damage to their 88 Honda Civic for $4500 (car was worth I seem to remember about $1800), and compensatory damage for like 100 G's. Nationwide provided all the legal help and medical experts over a period of about 2 1/2 years...no questions asked and they stood by me during the entire process.

It was settled out of court 5 minutes before the trial. They accepted 25 grand (they're legal fees were around 10K) and that was the end of it. So for all of that they got 15K when if they had taken our original offer of 50K without their legal fees, they would have been of so much better.

Oh well, they threw the dice and it was a 7...btw, I'm sure glad I had plenty of insurance.

6. dobehap

dobehap LawnSite Senior Member

Bobby, Bobby....Ofcorse they never raised you, remember, you had
    no parents, handed from relative to relative. :waving:

BTW, No accidents here YET (staying on topic )

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Never sued but used the ins. I blew a tire on the trailor and it pulled it into the ditch, with the trac. on it. The trac broke the binding chains and it took out an electric pole. Dam they charge a lot for them poles and to put them back up. The ins payed out a little over 75K for everything. Glad I had lots of ins. and rates did go up but I think it was a normal increase:realmad: I did not want to call ans inquire:D

Mac

8. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I shot a rock thru window and hit a fence. Insurance payed for both and didnt go up. My brother inlaw told me about his freind up north that snow plows. He cleared a Hardees, then worker carrying pan of hot fat slipped on ice. Hardee went after and won suit from plow guy for $9,000.
    Ive been REAL luck with bush hogging. You bush hog guys know what these things are capable of throwing. I bought a new brush bull this year but my old bushhog really threw stuff.

9. tawilson1152

tawilson1152 LawnSite Member

I own a campsite and am being sued for $2 million. A girl that was visiting some campers fell off a cliff while swimming and busted her leg and nearly drowned. It's been going on over a year and I don't think it's going to amount to much. We had posted and no swimming signs up and have tried to discourage swimming there but probably the insurance company will end up settling for something within my coverage.

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

then again, insurence companies, most of the time, are as crooked as the people trying to sue them. insurence is a crapshoot. if u paid $1000 a year for insurence, and did it for 10 years, then you damage someones property, and need to put in a claim for $1500, you're still down $8500.