1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lay off the newbies

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by upidstay, Apr 12, 2006.

1. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Hello all. I consider myself a turf care professional. I am licensed by my home state as a supervisor. Connecticut has one of the hardest pesticide supervisors tests around, and I am damned proud of passing it. I like to think that I know my stuff. How did I gain this knowledge?? By asking questions from those that know the answers. I don't think Lawnsite existed when I was getting started, and I sure wish it had. Would have made my life a heck of alot easier. That is why i get mad when somebody comes here and asks a question and then gets jumped all over by the rest of us. The entire purpose of this site is to spread info around to those who need it. Spare us the pontificating and just answer the freakin' question. If you don't want to answer, then keep your keyboard silent. I was the one asking lots of dumb questions not to long ago, and I'm sure most of you were too. I have worked with guys with turf science degrees from great universities who have asked me some doozies. I smiled and answered their questions, if I had an answer. If I didn't know, we found it out, and both of us learned something. There are people just getting started out there who come to this site looking for help, and it is our duty as an industry to help them. I am all for licensing. If it were up to me you'd need a license to buy DEET. It bugs the heck out of me that I can get in alot of trouble for killing a bees nest and not posting, but anybody can buy insecticides at a gas station. We as an industry need to take an active role in educating our peers. Any idiot with a pick up and a 48" mower is considered by the general public to be a "Lawn care professional" and a "turf expert". That is wrong, but so is jumping all over someone on this site for daring to ask a question. Let the firestorm begin.
  2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

This has been talked about several times already. Do you have a real question???:confused:
  3. Badgerz

Badgerz LawnSite Member

^ Case in point.
  4. Threxx

Threxx LawnSite Member

Newbs get jumped on just about every forum I go to - though it's typically not so much "You idiot, how do you not know the answer to that" as much as it is "did you do a search?".

I'm most definitely a newb here and with lawncare in general. In fact I'm more of just an overly dedicated hobbyist... I don't do lawncare for anyone but myself. So I've asked plenty of 'stupid' questions here but I've always done a search beforehand to see if I can answer all of my questions that way and then resort to making a post.

I've found the community here to be mostly friendly toward the new guys, or, at least toward me.:)
  5. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't mind answering questions of folks just starting out. But let's face it, this is a stupid question:

1. How much do you guys charge for fertilizer?

I'm sure there are others I can't think of right now.
  6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

An important part of growing in your business is to learn to think for yourself and seek out answers to questions by study and research...I don't mind answering questions at all..but some people don't even bother to think about the question 1st..all by themselves...don't even bother to crack a book or do a search for answers.I feel it is important to learn the answers to questions by study rather than immediately attempting to pick the knowledge out of somebody else's brain.I feel the knowledge has more staying power if you have to do a little work to gain it.
  7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

You really should do a search before starting a thread with this topic. Numerous members have posted on this very same subject and I don't think not one member benifited from it.
  8. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly. I like to point people to the search function. Too many people on here are looking for easy answers and not doing any research. How many times have I read "Starting my own business this year. Where do I start?" in Feb. with the season start about a month away. What we don't need is fly by night companies and hacks starting a business without knowing anything. It hurts the industry as a whole.
  9. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I have never seen anybody suggest to someone asking a "dumb" question that they do a search. They usually just get a rude reply.
  10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Well there are many hundreds of thread replies here that have have suggested the poster do a search on the subject..nice and polite like..so I guess you haven't looked very well.