Lay Off The Young Guys

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by iski3d, Jun 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iski3d

iski3d LawnSite Member
    from NH

I think it's bad how everyone here critisizes the young guys. They come here for guidance and advice. I also am a high school student. I drive a ford f-350 diesel, puling a 14' enclosed trailer with a 61" ferris hydro and a ferris 48" belt. Yes this is my own business. I have paid cash for all my equipment (my own money), I have insurance, and everything else that goes along with having a legit business. Right now I have 34 accounts which I do while still managing to stay on the Honor Role at school. Like I do, I think most of the young guys on this site look up to you older guys. We all have to start somewhere, so please have patience with us. Thanks.

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Hang in there, things will work out. I'm glad to hear your doing so well, glad your not around me!

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

iski3d
    It's not everyone that is critisizing the young ones here. I for one am very proud of some of you members that act like adults and have your businesses going strong. I have chatted with some here for a long time and would of never known that these members were not at least 30 years old the way they conducted themselves, only to find out they are still in school. My hat is off to these members and you know who you are. ;)

Keep up the good work

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

no criticism from me, either.

but as a minor age person, assuming you are not yet 18, I am curious how do you conduct business legaly since you brought it up? such as your insurance contract?

GEO

5. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I am only 17 and have a business with my friend. We have 2 52" exmarks and a ford f-250 and planning on geting a dodge deisle soon.
    but as for contracts we have all of our customers on them i do not know how binding they are since we are only 17 but as long as they think that if they don't pay there will be some consacunces then so be it. for insurance we just have my friends dad co-sign every thing for us!

6. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe some of the people resent high school teenagers who claim to be running a legit business because the teenager goes out and under-bids a man who is trying to feed his family because the kid is still living with mom and dad and needs just enough money to get a new skateboard or money to take his girlfriend to the movies.

I think what might help would be if young entrepenuers were able to get into some kind of apprenticeship program for future business owners. When I was growing up, if you wanted to be a carpenter or electrician or plumber, you were looking at a 3 to 5 year program with on the job and classwork. When you were thru you were a skilled craftsman. How long do you think a program for business owners should last?

Maybe Lawsite could set up a minimum standard of required reading and award a certificate of Master Gardener upon completion.

One last thing. Sorry but I couldn't resist. Question for iski3d. Is spelling and grammar no longer required in school to be on the honor ROLL? :)

7. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I have no problem with any kid or adult that does not B.S. me.
    My dissagreement lies when the advice given anybody (young or old) is meant to sound like the voice of experience when it is not. I'm sorry, but if you ar 14 years old, how can anybody say that they have "been in business" for X years. Yes you are working, and yes you are working on your own, but this differs greatly from running a business. When I was 14 I had 12 lawns per week that I cut (I can barely admit it but for $12-15 per week). Looking back on it I made alot of money for a kid. But when people ask how long I have been "in business" I don't use the first time I touched a lawn mower as an answer. I think that the people on this forum only ask that they not be misslead by anybody that doesn't have the experience to advise--young or old.
    I give all the working kids alot of credit--I know it's not easy between school, work, friends, and parents. I know this because I have done it myself.

Don't do drugs, stay out of jail, and practice safe sex...when the time comes.

:eek:

8. Tim1075

Tim1075 LawnSite Member

My friend who is 18 and I run a legit business while we are both attending high school and college. We maintain 29 accounts year round. We are running 2 trucks a 95 dodge 2500 and an 85 f-350 mason dump both with plows. We are pulling a 16ft open trailer with 2 36" scag belts and a 52" scag hydro, 2 stihl fs85 trimmers, 2 stihl br400 backpacks. I feel that even though we are not as big as some of you guys we are still doing good for ourselves. I mean it is better than what other kids our age do at least we are out making something of ourselves instead of having mommy and daddy put it infront of us.

9. John from OH

John from OH LawnSite Member

I think the criticism comes from the younger generation trying to give advice on topics that they don't have enough experience to pass on viable information. Most of us probably started a young age, I know I did, but that did not qualify me as an expert as a teenager. When I was 18, I thought I knew it all, now that I'm approaching 40, I think there is still more I don't know than I do know.

10. dhicks

dhicks Member

No criticism from me regarding the young guys especially you and others like you that have the drive and fortitude to operate your own business.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.