layers of clippings on grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rookiemower, Jun 2, 2003.

1. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

I live the chicago land suburbs and so far this season the grass around here has been growing great. sat. i cut two of my accounts which the lawns were really LONG and they looked like #*%@ there was clipping covering the top of the grass and im talking about alot and i was was wonderig how some of you guys clean up those clippings do you use mulching blades or something

(P.S. i went over everything with my 36" then redid it a 21" push so i could bag it because my baggers not in for my 36" and i didnt charge more because my customers would complain about the extra cost but i had to do somthing) ( i even went over it with my 36" twice but it just seems to spray it into the next row again)
    SORRY post is so long

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

raise your deck 1/2" and double cut the areas with the clippings, this way you'll just be spreading them around, and not taking any more off the top. Works great for me since i don't have a bagger.

3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

We do just as BSDeality said if dealing with a really heavy lawn. If there are visible clippings, we go over it until there are none. Usually it is just certain areas, not the whole lawn. Cut the heaviest areas first then cut the rest of the lawn, then come back and go over the area with the heaviest clippings. This gives the stuff a little time to dry out and makes dispersing them a much easier task. This is where a hydro ZTR really shines. It's easy to change the height and doesn't take much effort to fly over that area again.

If it is a problem week after week and month after month try cutting a little higher.

4. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Ask your clients if you can mow more frequently. I talked to all my "problem growth" lawns and all of them were delighted to have more frequent cuts. Most of them asked me to cut twice a week for the next few whiles.