laying 50 yards of mulch!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bastalker, Mar 10, 2003.

1. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

I am trying to bid on an apartment complex that requires 50 yards of mulch in beds , around buildings etc..The apartment complex is about 6 acres total. Pine bark mulch is $26.00 a yard in my area. My question is how long should it take to lay(2 men), and what would be the most efficient way to do it? $40 per man per hour. I figured Mulch cost $1400.00 delivered. What would a fair labor cost be?:confused:
  2. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

$26 per yard, whoa! Its around $15 here. Why pine bark? Was it requested by client? That stuff is so light that it will wash away in no time. Anyway, be sure to mark up the mulch for your time and for delivery fee(s). Depending on how far you have to wheel the mulch also determines how long it will take. Two men should be able to put sling and spread 8 to 10 yards in and hour. I dont charge mulch by the hour, but you can if you think you have a good idea of the time frame. I have a 15yard mulch job to do tomorrow,and the customers insists on fabric........I charge per yard for installation.
  3. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

At least $4250. ($85/yard installed) I'd figure about 3 days for 2 guys and that's humping it. Best bet would be to rent bededger for efficiency.
  4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Yes always mark up your mulch price by at least 25%. Also you have to figure out accessibility of the beds. 8-10 yards per hour for two guys is about right, unless the beds are hard to access. :cool:
  5. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

I use it in the bag. It is easier to move around and cuts down on clean up time.
    I also charge by the yard. And I too think you should find another supplier. I pay $15.00 per yard in the bag.
  6. jkelton

jkelton LawnSite Member

Sub it out to someone who offers a mulch blowing service - that will be your most cost effecient manner in doing this type of job.
  7. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

You lost me buddy. What does a bed edger have to do with spreading mulch? :)
  8. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I think he was thinking about doing a bed from scratch and not from an existing bed. A bed edger doesn't help spread mulch, just defines the bed.
    "8-10yrds an hour for 2guys" thats a bit much, only if it would be in one area, but if you have to wheel it to a corner or a tree takes a bit longer.
    I've put down 20yrds of mulch for an apartment complex and if i can remember correctly the total for everything was $2,000 I think, maybe a bit lower.
  9. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

I figured it would take my son an I 16 hours @40.00 an hour per man. we did a house last year (8 yards of mulch) but i was driving back and forth to the local mulch place bout 5 miles away getting 2 yards at a time in the back of my truck. took us about 6 hours. paponte, I dont know that we can do it that fast..beds are pretty spread out. The only way I could think of was using wheel barrows. I know we can do it faster than 3 days. The 16 hours was streching it a little I think. $1300.00 sound about right?
    jkelton, thats a good idea.. Im just wondering if the companys price would be low enough, guess I will check into it.
    greenman, thats what kind of mulch is there already, I figured I would just match it. Any recomendations for a heavier mulch close to the same color? I didnt add the 25% markup for the mulch cost...I probably should. I wound up marking it up about 15%
    Just didn't want to bid 2 men 16 hours and find out its going to take longer...:(
  10. 50 yds x $26.00 = $1300.00 cost
    16 hrs x $40.00 = $1040.00 cost
    Where do you get $1300.00?

On lots 8m to 12m I can spread 1.5 yds/hr by myself. So 50 yds would take 33 hrs, but you have a much great area to cover!
    Even if you stock pile in 6 location, each stock pile has beds located in @ 1 acre! Lot of travel time behind a wheel barrow!!!
    Don't know how long to do, but can't see it being done in 33 manhours!!