1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Laying Brick Paths

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Bleed Green, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Bleed Green

Bleed Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been looking at this forum for a few months now and you guys seem to be very knowledgeable so I thought I would sign up on the forum here and ask my questions.

I am about to lay a brick path in my backyard and I am wondering how much gravel you guys think I should put under it as a base. I was thinking 4 inches of gravel and 2 inches of sand on top of the gravel just to level the bricks. Does this sound about right?

The last time I laid it I did not put any gravel under it and it is starting to sink in spots so i am going to try to fix it and shore it up with the gravel.

Thanks for your help
  2. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

You should post this in the hardscape forum....
  3. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Post in the Hardscape section.
    You will probally need fabric under the base as well.
  4. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

BleedGreen.....hardscape forum should give you some interesting feedback. We do it all the time here with brick or rock for patios. Alot of your base is geographically specific.......call a local supply yard and they will give you some good info. For my region, we dig down....compact the natural, add a landscape barrier and then 4-6" of road base compacted with 2" of sand on top. I do this for stairs, walkways, patios.....any hardscaping. Compaction is a key......rent or borrow a heavier machine than you think you will need or just an ordinary plate compactor will work - but, if you use a plate compactor put your material down in 3 lifts of 2" a piece, and compact each lift. Have fun......
  5. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Here in Georgia the ground is so hard we usually need only 4 inches for a walking path and cloth is very rarely used.

As RSG said very geographical.