1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Laying Granite slabs

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Q-Team Inc, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Q-Team Inc

Q-Team Inc LawnSite Member

Need some help on what equipment should be used to lay 2 granite slabs(steps). One is about 1450 lbs(top) and the other(bottom) is about 2150 lbs.
    This would be the first time we have every had to do this. What process & equipment would you use.

2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I would like to hear a little bit on this too.

I know that some suppliers will set the steps for you, as long as you prepare the base to their specs.

I would think if you were to do it yourself, you would need a good size mini x or skid steer to handle that weight. Possibly a skid steer with forks, or a mini x with nylon slings.

I've also seen clamps used for granite curbing, but I don't know if they come large enough (probably do) for stairs. I don't know where you would be able to rent a clamp either. Probably an expensive tool you wouldn't invest in unless you were using it a lot.
  3. Q-Team Inc

Q-Team Inc LawnSite Member

The company that I would be purchasing the slabs from will only set stairs. Nothing into the grade. Somebody help....
  4. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess I'm not sure what the purpose of the steps are.... You say the company will set stairs, but not steps? What's the difference?

What is the site access like? Can you get there with a skidsteer, or a track loader? Will they have to be slung in? Is it too long of a reach for a skidsteer? If so, use a telescopic forklift (like a Lull Skytrack, or Bobcat Versahandler).

If there's a will, there's a way. Without seeing the site, I'd say a skidsteer would be my first option. After that, a fairly large mini-ex, then possibly a crane...

Pictures would help a lot on this one....

5. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

I'd figure your grades on which your slabs-steps will sit on. Get them compacted and completely flat and then sling them into place with whatever piece of equipment you deem appropriate. They are really quite easy to do if you get your base prepped appropriately. I think Dan is on the right track as far as equipment goes....I've used skid steers, back hoes, excavators you name it. Once you get it where you need it you can usually fine tune it with a few heavy duty pry bars and some really strong guys. Just remember once you remove your sling your pretty close to being 100% committed to it's location, but like Dan siad it all depends on exactly what it is you're doing and under what conditions---Pics and a better description would be helpful.
    Good Luck