1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

laying pavers themselves..

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by fga, Dec 23, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

say you have your base down, area marked off, (patio, walkway, drive, etc.). where and how do you begin the step of laying down your blocks? for example, i guess you can use a standard 4" block.
    like determining pattern, i wouldn't want to make an ugly cut right down the middle of the walkway.
    do you do the borders first? if so, do you start in the middle and work outwards towards the sides?
    do you use stakes or cement on the borders?

i would really like to add this to my services. I have done some small jobs, but would like to step it up in quality and job size (and profits).

I made a small manual for myself through PM's sent by Mark. i actually studied them and think i got the base prep down. Just would like to conyinue with the proper layout procedures.
    for example, what if you're laying down you edging bricks, and you wind up 1/2 inch short? do you go and put a sliver in the center of the edging, or do you put it at the end?
  2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I use Pave-edge restraint. They're plastic 8' pieces (there is aluminum product out there too) where you can cut out pieces for curves. They accept metal stakes every 1' or so. Don't buy the stakes at home depot -- the diameter is the same size as the hole and a PITA. Buy the twisted stakes from your supplier

I usually save my edges for last, and any cuts go between the soldier course and the rest of the walkway/patio. However, If possible, like with straight lines, I'll measure first and lay-out so there are minimal cuts.

Don't use cement for border support. It will crack and heave with frost.
  3. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

do the edge and border first, then fill in everything else starting at the house or structure and moving outward.

4. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

So you don't want to end up with something like this pic, huh? I don't blame you!:) This is one of the "before" pictures on that wall we have been working on.... Hopefully I'll be able to get that thread started next week.

I'd start at the house/structure and work outward, then do your edges. If you have straight lines, make good use of strings. If you are going to do curves, 1/2" PVC pipe is flexible enough to use for marking your curves for cutting.

You really can do the edges either first or last, but if you do them first, you either need to be really good at measuring, or have a lot more patience than I have. It's much easier, and probably would look better, IMHO, to do the edges last.

5. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

OMG, Dan. That is horrible.
  6. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

How'd you rip that picture from my website?

Peace and Merry Christmas

7. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Adam, I will post a pic and my two cents in a couple of days. As you know I'm busy with a new baby. However, I would like to offer my imput for what it's worth. BTW, as horrible as that walkway is, it is not an uncommon sight. The sad part is, it would take more time to install it the way we see it in the picture than it would to do it right.
  8. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

fga - check this site out it will help you out some also lookinto the classes they offer. very very knowledgable.

9. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks guys for the leads, i'm looking forward to your further input.

Mbella, first christmas huh? this is my daughters second, and she is still wery on how it works.. just started to realize all the toys are hers :)

That's what i don't want to do. I've never actually seen it done, but just invisioned it in my head... and it looks even worse in reality. :dizzy:
  10. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

That may look terrible, but what's worse is the idiots that did it told our clients that they new would eventually "weather" and match the old! I don't think they were willing to spend the time and energy to try to find something closer to the original color, let alone the original size....