1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Laying Sod in December

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by ztrguy, Dec 9, 2009.

1. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

I'm wanting to lay some sod to prevent erosion in a few places (less than 300 sq. ft) and I'm wanting to know if it's even possible to lay sod this late in the year? Located in Northeast Arkansas. If so, what sod would be the best bet? I'm thinking fescue.

2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

If you can find it, most of those guys have stopped production because it is so slow

You could use straw to hold the area down until you can purchase sod or put bales down with stakes if the hill is extreme

3. ztrguy

from NE FL

Thanks Bill! That's a great idea if I'm unable to get the sod. It's starting to get wet around here so they may not be able to get their equipment in there to cut the sod. I may have to end up laying down some straw.

4. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

Don't know about MI and points north where it gets really cold 0 but here in KY and south we can lay sod anytime they can get it cut. Many times it is too wet but I have several sites this winter that I'm doing ammendments before they lay the sod.

5. Lawn Guy 1

Lawn Guy 1 LawnSite Member

if you can get the sod be sure to put down a starter fertilizer (high phosphorous) to enchourage root development.

6. ztrguy

from NE FL

What type of sod are they laying?

7. ztrguy

from NE FL

Great idea!

8. ztrguy

from NE FL

Great idea!

9. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

Tall Fescue. I stay away from P. Most soil samples we do show plenty already in the soil and it kills mycorrhizae which is the main thing along with humus we are ammending iinto the soil. Get your myco working and you will have the highway to all the nutrients your turf could ever need - from the soil.

10. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

how about an erosion control blanket until spring? Hay might work but probably not as good, but less expensive.