1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Laying sod over existing lawn.

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by JohnnyRocker, Jan 7, 2010.

1. JohnnyRocker

JohnnyRocker LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering if anyone has ever laid sod over existing grass without using a sod cutter, nor tilling. If so, how well did the new sod do during the season? What experiences or opinions does everyone have on this issue. Thanks! :usflag:
  2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Only ever put sod down over existing turf along the edges when the old wasn't worth the trouble of digging out to make it fit square. It seemsed ok, but I wouldn't risk larger areas on that.
  3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

they did this a lot in florida. kill the old and drop new on top. the only problem is when you get to sidewalks, curbs, ect the new sod is now higher than the curb line, which look chitty, plus it would also play havoc with sprinklers.

don't cut corners...do it right the first time and you wont have to worry about getting any call backs...
  4. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

bad idea, do some prep work first, the roots have to have something to take into or it will fail fast not to mention the soil interface would be non existent
  5. JohnnyRocker

JohnnyRocker LawnSite Senior Member

If I use a sod cutter, is it necessary to till also?
  6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I would use sod cutter and then a hard tine rake to scarify the soil (rough it up a bit) and drop a bit of milorganite down before laying any sod.

if the soil is very highly compacted, then tilling may be needed...

another option would be to run a mantis tiller over the cut areas to scratch up the surface some..
  7. Buddy Buds

Buddy Buds LawnSite Member

I had to do this on a yard back in May. The owner only wanted the front done but he ordered twice what he needed. The owner had the front prepped and we had to cover part of his back yard. It did great this summer.
  8. jeffslawnservice

jeffslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I know someone that works for Brickman and they said that they put sod down over already existing turf after they scalped the old turf. I guess it worked for them but personally I wouldent do it. I would rather till it all up and then put the sod down.
  9. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

I've put centipede and bermuda done on top of other grass and it did fine and still does. I don't do this as a rule though.
  10. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree 100% with MarcSmith, it could end up costing you big time if you lay over existing grass so save yourself alot of troube and do it the rite way.