1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Laying sod over existing lawn.

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by JohnnyRocker, Jan 7, 2010.

1. ALLPro Landscaping

ALLPro Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

go in with a tiller, till everything up real good, then you may be able to lay on top of that, but I would never lay it down wight on existing turf, you have to till it first then see what your left with

2. JohnnyRocker

JohnnyRocker LawnSite Senior Member

Well, if you had to rent one machine or the other to prep old turf for new sod, would you get a tiller, or a sod cutter?

3. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can only get one get a tiller and then you can rake out the clumps of grass.

4. JohnnyRocker

JohnnyRocker LawnSite Senior Member

Would you bother killing the existing, if you are going to til it into the ground?

5. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes it will til up alot easier and les clumps to rake up.

6. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Last summer a friend of mine had a customer put sod over existing turf (about a 50% stand) in their back yard. No prep work whatsoever. None of it rooted in at all, even walking on it, it would slide around, months afterward. A lot of it eventually died, and by that point what was underneath it also died. Not sure if anything has been done since then to fix it.

If it's a small area, just use a flat shovel to scrape off whats there, and level up the area. Then throw your sod down.

7. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

All plants grow better in loose aerated soils.

8. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Rent a sod cutter and get rid of the old then lay down the new, it would be smart to put an 1/8 inch of compost down first, you will almost be guaranteed a succesful job

If you lay on top of the existing and it fails later you will lose money, not smart

short cuts often cost more money than they are worth

9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Haha, I was just going to post that... saved me some typing.

No, they haven't done anything, and they also quit cleaning up the dog crap. I hate that backyard. 1/2 mud and 1/2 crap.

10. alf500series

alf500series LawnSite Senior Member

another problem that i am suprised nobody else has said-and speaking from experience. if you put sod over existing lawn, if there are any weeds or other type of grass underneath the sod it will grow thru all of your joints. now several times i have cut the existing lawn down as low as i can get it(small yard)basically to the ground with a weed eater or old mower and put sod on top of that with no problems but i could have just been luck also. save your self the hassle-do it right the first time