Laying sod question..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by aVOLanche, Sep 26, 2004.

1. aVOLanche

aVOLanche LawnSite Member

I've never placed any sod,but need to do about 50-75 sq.feet of "patchwork" in my back yard.I'll use 24"x16" pieces.Can someone give me any tips?<p>
    I plan to use a sharp,straight-edged spade to cut through the existing sod/dirt to the depth of the thickness of the new fescue sod,then place it,"tromp" it down, and water it well for a couple of weeks.

2. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Why aren't you just overseeding the area? That area seems way too small to bother bringing sod in.

3. aVOLanche

aVOLanche LawnSite Member

Tried to overseed but dogs run thru it,so sod would be quick fix.

4. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

Just a suggestion, but I found that a stick edger with a good blade works soo much better than a knife. Try it if you own one.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Also. "tromping it down" isn't good enough. The surface should be prepped (worked up) a bit to soften it so the roots can easily take hold. Roll your ends under (so the edge is facing downward 90 degrees) and pack the pieces in tight. If their cramped, it better - don't skimp and try to stretch between the pieces. Oh yeah, remember: green side up!

6. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

good advice I actually saw someone install sod upside down once

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Also, after re-reading this, I realized that where I said to roll your edges under, I just meant the ends - not all the way around! lol

8. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i'd fence off the seed. the dogs are still going to destroy the sod if they run all over it. except the sod is more work and money.