laying sod

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by agm, Apr 19, 2006.

1. agm

agm LawnSite Member
    from NM

I was reading an article that says when you lay sod that you should use a dolomitic lime and an 8-8-8 fertilizer. I have never done this and have never had any problems. I was wondering if anyone uses these things when laying sod and how does it work out for you if you use it.

2. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

If your not to sure about preparing the area I would do a simple soil test. Go down to your local extension center and for like $10 bucks get a soil sample bag, take the sample as directed and send it off to the address on the bag. Problem solved!

3. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

You do not want to add lime to a yard unless there is a pH problem. You could end up messing up the pH by adding lime. It is real easy to raise the pH of soil, but a lot harder to lower it. Get a soil test done to determine if you need to adjust the pH.

About the 8-8-8 is just a basic fertilizer to get the sod to grow. You dont have to use it, but you can. This should not hurt the results.

4. dg806

dg806 LawnSite Member

Around here, we have alot of red clay soil that is acidic. You can't put too much lime out here!

5. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

It also depends on the type of sod.