1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

laying sod

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stoner, Feb 29, 2000.

1. Stoner

Stoner LawnSite Member
    from MA

After site preparation how long will it take to lay 1000 sq. ft. of sod. Assume it's a square.

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

By hand from a pallet, or by machine from a roll?<p>Bill

3. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

You have 112 sq. yds. by hand figure 1 minute per roll. For big rolls 5 miinutes.<p>We do answer questions like this at the landscape area of the forum<p>----------<br>paul<br>

4. Stoner

Stoner LawnSite Member
    from MA

I'll be rolling by hand from pallets.

5. grasskutter

grasskutter LawnSite Member
    from mass.

Stoner figure 1 guy can lay 1 pallet in 1 hour,figure thats without having to cut anything in,2 pallets (1000 square feet roughly)equals 2 hours. By the way,where in Ma.(the great state)<br>

6. Stoner

Stoner LawnSite Member
    from MA

Springfield area.

7. tjg

tjg LawnSite Member

I usually have two guys hauling it right to the site from the trailer(wherever)And I'am cutting it sometimes there might be two of us cutting and two hauling. This last fall four of us layed 4 1/2 pallets in about 2 hours, but we had to take a few panels of fence down and hand it through because through was no back gate. Fixing to pick up 6 pallets of fescue Sat. and lay this weekend.Almost always takes longer to prepare ground.<p>----------<br>T.J. Greenfield<br>

8. cjcland

cjcland LawnSite Senior Member

radio flyer makes a garden tractor that is great for this it holds up to 300 pounds and has big tires to roll over dirt check it out<br>http://www.radioflyer.com/wagonsat.html#barrow<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida