Laying Sod

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by lil_cote_93, Sep 26, 2007.

1. lil_cote_93

lil_cote_93 LawnSite Member
    from ON

Got my first big sod job, all to myself
    umm, my main question, is whats the easiest way to take out a patch of grass about 15ft, by 6 feet without renting a sod cutter,
    (flat shovel? rototiller?)
    any help would be great thankyu

2. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

Tilling will be a mess to clean up. I like to use a flat shovel. It alows you to take large peices out. Try to knock off some of the soil...it gets kind of heavy if you dont.

3. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

A sod knife- It's a long handled tool with a half-circle looking flat knife-like blade on the end. Has a nice angled neck for easy use. It'll sdile right under the existing turf/weeds. Get one. Razorback makes a good one.

4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

are you asking what is the easiest way of removing the existing turf/weeds without spending money renting equipment?

if you use a sidewalk edger for your business, use that to make 14-12"x6' slices in your "patch", then take a flat edging shovel and push it under the sod cutting as little of the dirt as possible. now roll it up. You are your own sod cutting machine.

I find if you do it that way, instead of just shoving the shovel all over the place it is less messy and makes quick work of the clean-up.

once area is clean, rototill, amend then lay your sod and a running bond pattern like a brick wall, roll, and water good. :cool2:

5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I laid some sod yeaterday in my own lawn and I just used my trimmer and cut all the way down to the dirt and then raked the surface to roughen it up a bit.

6. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I use a tiller. Much easier than using a flat shovel to scrape it up. Just run over the area with the tiller. Define edges, rake it, level it and sod it.