laying sod

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by DVL, Jun 16, 2008.

1. DVL

DVL LawnSite Member

I have 18 pallets of sod to lay in a back yard and was curious what you guys are charging

2. DVL

DVL LawnSite Member

Forgot to mention that the customer is buying the sod directly from the sod farm so he just is wanting a labor quote. Until now I have been charging 1.50 / sq yard for installation.

3. DVL

DVL LawnSite Member

Im mean sq ft not sq yard

4. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

that seems like a fair price.how long will it take you?how many man hours?

5. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

If it's already graded, $80-100/pallet is usually a good number.

6. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

That's about right!
    I noticed that the author revised his post that he'd charge $1.50/sq. ft. That would be $750/pallet since there's about 500 sq. ft in the pallet. This would be
    $13,500.00!!!!! Nobody should pay that. Or did I misconstrue.

7. DVL

DVL LawnSite Member

Sorry guys heat stroke must be setting in. I had it right the first time and didn't need to make the correction. Thanks for helping.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Also, to help things go faster, I don't know how many people you have to carry and lay for you, but here is a technique we do to make this go MUCH faster. Don't stagger the rolls in 1/2 spaces. On the first staggered pieces, make about 4 different lengths, so the staggering up (diagonally) is done at much smaller increments. This is MUCH less traveling on the knees. Going from one piece to the next is much closer to each man laying, and the tightening and tucking goes an extreme faster.