Laying Sod

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by electronics2667, Jul 22, 2008.

1. electronics2667

electronics2667 LawnSite Member

Can someone shade some light on this for me: I am just adding landscaping to my business,& i have a customer that wants some sod layed.How do i prepare the ground for the sod & what do i add to the ground for the sod. And one more thing she wants a irrigiation system also,do i install it before the sod or after.

Thanks Leroy

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

LeRoy: Use the search engine here. I know I explained sod laying many times and in detail. Look above. Roy

3. A Leaf Above

A Leaf Above LawnSite Member

You definately want to install the irrigation system befor the sod ...Leave the sprinkler head about 1-2 inches above ground level ..Then lay the sod down over the head and cut the grass where the head is ...The popup head will come out threw the sod at that point ....After installation ..water the grass everyday for a month ..

4. blackoak26

blackoak26 LawnSite Member

+1 green side goes up!!!

5. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

if you need more info send me a pm and i will explain it to you

6. electronics2667

do i add anything to the ground or do i just the sod on the plane ground, if i need to add something what do i add to the ground under the sod,& what is a good price to charge for laying sod in fl.

7. electronics2667

Hey buddy do i need to add anything to the existing ground (soil) or do i just the sod on the ground it's self.I f so what do i need to add to the ground for the sod to grow.

Thanks Leroy

8. RAlmaroad

from SC

Leroy:
    You will need to till up the ground. Rake off the rocks and trash or dead grass and old sod. The softer--the better. If it needs amendments; add some organic material, a layer of sphagnum peat moss from Lowes scattered about 1/2" and raked into soil. Give it a little starter fertilizer, but don't overdo. Lay your sod in a brick pattern with staggered joints and keep it tight to keep any air from drying it out. After that, tamp it down with your feet, garden tractor, or roller to make sure it is in contact with the soil. Water 2/day but not after 4PM. Do this for a week; then 1 time/day for a week then check to see if roots are growing. Try to pull up a corner for root adhering to the fresh soil. Make sure you water long enough to wet the ground beneath the sod. You'll be fine-- Give it a little fertilizer every 3 weeks or so. Also, about $100+/-/pallet is the going rate in SC.
    Roy

9. electronics2667

Thanks Man Leroy

10. RAlmaroad

from SC

LeRoy:
    Last fall, we put down two (2) tractor/trailer loads of sod in about 6 hours. I had about 8 people putting it down, had the pallets spaced almost perfectly, two (2) guys cutting it in on the sides, me and another were compacting and watering it in. At the end of the day (about 9 hours for me) it was done and today it is more beautiful than the day we installed it. Believe it or not--8 of our people could only speak Spanish--I speak fluent German and some Italian. What a day. I prepped the day before with a tractor and box grater making sure all small trash was gone. Really important for making things go smoothly. About 30 pallets a day is almost my limit--depending on day. I really like our help. They are honest, give a good days work, show up on time and appreciate us. I always give a bonus for getting the job done on time. I always buy my help lunch and have plenty of good water and almost insist on a break every two hours.
    Keep your help happy and they will be happy to help you out. Don't know what you are expecting but sod work is not hard but must be methodically....If you can..have your sod delivered the night before after the sun has set. Of course a lot of this depends on the sod farm...Ours is generally cut and delivered the same day but we're only about two hours from the farm. On your fertilize, try to use a liquid if possible. A good small Kabota with turf tires does a good job compacting the sod. I generally rent a roller that is filled with water (1/2) Like I said--It's all in the planning.