1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

laying Sod

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by harperservices, Mar 10, 2002.

1. harperservices

harperservices LawnSite Member

Need to quote a customer on digging up a flower bed in the middle of the yard and replace it with sod. How should I price and How should I lay the sod?

The area is approx. 12' x 12'

Thanks everyone!:(
  2. diginahole

diginahole LawnSite Member

16 yards of sod, 2 hours labour, GREEN SIDE UP.
  3. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Yeah. I agree with digin. Green side up.
  4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

You should price it by the estimated amount of time you think it will take to do including the cost of materials with the necessary markup for your desired profit. And based off what you already know is your overhead, you will already have that hourly figure and can multiply that by how many hours you think it will take. Laying the sod is the last step which is quite simple.
  5. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

This little job will probably cut the heart outta 1/2 day for one guy considering travel. sod pick up doing the work and disposal of debris.

Price accordingly which should be way higher that what you think.

UTM-PIKE LawnSite Member

I have the same question for relatively the same size. What kind of prep work do you have to do, rip out whats there? Put more topsoil on the ground? Fertilize? Thanks for any imput.