1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Layoffs taking it's toll

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Southern Lawns, May 22, 2002.

1. Southern Lawns

Southern Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Layoffs in the area the past 9 months are starting to trickle down to us. 1 call in the past 2 weeks, seems like everytime I turn around I see a Craftsman in a makeshift trailer trying to earn a buck. Granted they are more often than not going for the jobs that we wouldn't take in the first place but it also spawns some people to really go legit. This is the longest dry spell (phone activity) that we have had since our startup in early 99. It's not like I'm screwing up opportunities, they are just not calling. I may have to let one of my men go for lack of work, he needs full time and it just ain't happening. I'm sure like all things someone has been through this, what advice would you offer.
  2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

As much as you would like to hang on to the guy............I wouldn't hesitate to cut him loose until things pick up. Your business is your business. You could try cutting the hours back but you and your family are #1 priority right now. That trickle down effect might trickle right down to you having to do the same thing as the others are doing.............covering their a$$-es.

All my bids so far this year have been too high, closing rate definately hasn't been good.:rolleyes: Right now I can't afford to hire anyone full time so it's me and my better half bustin' our butts to keep things caught up. Hangin' on here till something comes my way......hopefully sooner than later.
  3. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Get your turf and ornamental license asap, it's only $45 to take the test and they send you the study material from N.C.State university. Also, do other things like aeration. A Ryan 4 is about $1750 and most places you can just rent them ($60 a day). Besides mowing correctly, aeration makes the biggest visible difference in a lawn without fert/seed. After you've done that, start fert/seed program so you can work. Most "scrubs" can't/won't do this, and a lot of legit LCO's simply won't. Do a google search for nc state department of agriculture, it's all there. You might also look into hiring someone with a structural pest license so you can have a year round income (on the same properies). Most of my time on my full time job are perimeter applications. I'm certified in N.C. but not licensed yet. I'll be going full time after I get my license to ensure a well rounded program. Tony
  4. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

I do a little investing and do alot of research into stocks. I've discovered the first 12 months out of a recession climb the fastest. With the collapse of enron, a local industrial comany laid off 5% of the CITY's workforce. I've discovered most of the people on the craftsmans do not treat their business like a "business", but rather have 1 or 2 lawns just for extra income or to help out the elderley friend, etc...

But going back to what I saying, Alan Greenspan and his crew have done a tremndous job of staving off this downfall, I can hardly call it a recession. Thing was were taking the internet's enterprise for granted and now we're expierencing a converse effect. In a few months I predict the jobs will open back up... Then again they're planning another attack and countries like Japan are placing huge tariffs on our steel.
  5. Southern Lawns

Had all the licenses and certs for a few years. It's becoming clear now why I have not had the activity. My Dad had to go to Hospice for his final days. The good Lord is just freeing up my time somewhat to tie up family issues. Damn it's hard to see him Die. Cancer from smoking is the cause. He stopped in his 50's but too late for the onset of lung cancer. He is now 74 and most likely will not make it through the weekend. He fought it as hard as he could. Diagnosis in Dec.2000, he stayed mobile up to a week ago then it happened fast.
    Sorry for the long post!
  6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry to hear that, take the time while you can, business can wait!
  7. Southern Lawns

Will do! Thank you Homer.
  8. Smartgene

Smartgene LawnSite Member

My prayers are with you and your father Raymond.

9. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Here in my area we have lost Stanley Tools they are moving to Dallas area, and we just had a layoff of 300 people at Howmet Corp that's the whole third shift they let go, and another place called Telaquest just layed off a bunch. This is bad. I hope that everyone makes it.:angel:
  10. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

Southern Lawns sorry to hear about your father hope all goe's well for you and you'r family as I know how much my dad means to me I truly feel for you.
    As for layoffs I have been layed off twice in the last year due to the great econmy but I just keep hanging in there. trying to go full time lco but with some dirtbag cutting lawns for 13.00 a pop I dont stand a chance.