1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lazer 19-46 or 23-46

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ken0564, Jul 10, 2008.

1. ken0564

ken0564 LawnSite Member

looking to replace the old 17-44's this fall. The 23-46 will run apprx $1000 more then the 19-46. Do you think it's worth it to gain another 4hp? Both are set up the same with 46" Triton. Would it be advisable to inquire bout the Ultra Cut deck?
    Have ran Exmarks for 8 years now with little problems so its tough to consider anything else. But, will the same money buy me a better machine. THe 19-46 is going to run $6900 out the door, 23-46 $7700.

Any thoughts? Thanks for the input.
  2. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I think horsepower considerations depend on if you mulch or side discharge. If you are discharging, then the 19 hp is fine. If mulching, then I would opt for the 23.
  3. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

hmmm. You should be able to get the 19 46 for 6000. Anyway I mulch with mine and it does fine if the grass isn't too high. I wish I had the 23hp but couldn't justify spending over another 1000. You should be fine with the 19hp.
  4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I have the 48" deck with a 19hp and run the ultra vac with no problem. However, in thick grass I have seen a few times that I wished it had a few extra hp but could not justify another grand for it. I think you would be happy with the 19 unless you are trying to mulch/bag grass waste high.
  5. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

i havent had any problems with my 19. sumtimes i wish i had 23. But it wasnt worth another $1000

It seems like the 19 horse power is fine most of the time, however, all seem to have had times where a 23 horse power unit would have been better. I found the 23 great for my fall leaf cleanups with the bagging unit.:walking: