Lazer 72" diesel

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by xcopterdoc, Dec 11, 2003.

1. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone running one of these? We are thinking of retiring our 935 JD 72" deck with one of these come spring. need opinions. Thanks!

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I demoed one two years ago. Lots of belts, lots of pulleys, overall, a high maintenance nightmare in my opinion. It did mow nice however. I bought a 72" Grasshopper diesel midmount machine instead. It has a very simple design with very little required maintenance. The Grasshopper has given me no trouble at all, and I use it in very tough mowing conditions. It has 700hrs on it, and I have only had to replace a spindle assy., due to hitting a manhole cover.:)

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The thing is a dog. Big, cumbersome, and exremely heavy. Although, after stepping off of a 935, it would feel like a Porsche.
    Drive the diesel Lazer, then drive one like the 28 EPS. The difference is like night and day. Besides the noise, the diesel just doesn't have that nice, crisp feel. The responsiveness just isn't there. I know this is far off from a machine of the 935's type, but once you get good at a Z, they are just so quick at getting in and out of corners, doing turnarounds, and accelerating. However, the weight of the diesel (while the diesel Z IS rather quick and responsive) just doen't have the nature of a regular Z. It's weight wants to rut easier, it causes the driver to have to start slowing down earlier before turning than on a regular Z, and like I said, the acceleration isn't quite all there, either. I just like the crispness of the lighter gas Lazers, instead. Diesel to gas Lazer? Like a Buick to a Ferrari. Try them both.

4. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys. I saw where it had more stuff.. More stuff to me is more headaches! I think we'll look at the EPS model. Right about the 935's too.. what a POS. We have 2 725's and that 935 to weed out! I can't wait to see em go! Thanks again for the 1st hand info.