1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lazer and z master owners....step inside.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by northerncalibound, Jul 18, 2004.

1. northerncalibound

northerncalibound LawnSite Member

A real good mechanic I know is the head mechanic for a township I live by. I asked him how many times he replaced a pto clutch on a lazer and he said he never has replaced one. He said if you rev then engine down when you engage the blades it reduces wear on the pto clutch greatly. I know some folks have had a problem w/ this and this may be common knowledge but I wanted to post it anyways to try to save some folks some $$. This is also recommended by exmark and toro in the manual from what I understand.
  2. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

I always idle the engine down before engaging the blades, it also helps keeping belt wear down
  3. soccerlawn

soccerlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I engage the blades with the engine as slow as possible and then rev it up to full.

4. ikesleeping

ikesleeping LawnSite Member

page 17 of my owners manual says 1: While seated in seat, release the pressure on the traction control levers and place in neutral2: Place the throttle in fast position 3: Pull out the PTO switch to engage.(this engages the blades). This is put out by Toro and is going under the heading of ;stupid things I choose to ignore! The writer probably had a great time advising Hemi Owners how to engage the clutch........
  5. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I engage mine on my 60" at full throttle, everytime. Over 1900 hours, no problems.
  6. Steve1

Steve1 LawnSite Senior Member

I engage mine at low rpm while immediately revving the engine. One thing I noticed about the Kawasaki motors is that they have a lower peak torque rpm and take the additional load without stalling.

I just think that full load at max rpm is only asking to tear out a clutch or break a belt, no matter what the manual says. There can be no harm with engaging the pto at low rpm, regardless.
  7. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Engage mine around half or a little higer with no problems thus far.
  8. grasscapeinc

grasscapeinc LawnSite Member

What about disengaging?
  9. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

I engage at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle and disengage the same.

page 20 of my 04 Toro catelog says place the throttle to fast position for engaging and disengaging, but dealer says to do it my way...

Warrantee nightmare waiting to happen.

Maybe with these 200 pounders now rev speed isn't as much of an issue opposed to the 175's?