lazer Blade combinations

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfman59, Nov 18, 2003.

1. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking to buy some new blades for my lazer 604 deck.
    what are some good blade reccomendations for spring, summer, fall....
    I just bought a mulch kit with blades... seems like this would be good to use after spring growth, and that you would be able to trim form both sides....

Also I was fortunate enough to win a 1/2 price set of Blades from MEG MOW at the St Louis Show...

What about it John G do you really like'em enough to keep them on all year, and do they work with the ultra vac system ?
  2. BHLD

BHLD LawnSite Member

The only way to go is my eyes!!!! and if it is not wet
  3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Factory OEM Notched Foil Excaliburs.

Factory OEM SOLID Foil Excaliburs.

Then, for fall.....

Gator Magnum X-Tended cutting edge.

Those are the three I'm sticking with.

That is until Meg-Mo can explain how his blades are safe in a deck that the blades hang lower than the side deck skirts. :eek:
  4. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

I use the Bahia blades from Exmark, I also use the extended cuttting edge gators.
  5. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I used DOUBLED blades for first time this fall. I doubled up GATORS. They did a great job on LEAVES when they were thick. Alot of blow-out though. When they weren't thick the amount of blow-out prevented them (leaves) from even getting under the deck.

I bought some NO LIFT SAND BLADES. Will try them out to see if they reduce blow-out without reducing chopping ability too much.

6. rwleigh

rwleigh Banned

Most of the guys around here are useing a dixie blade with a rotary mulcher blade on top. The rotary blade is similar to the gator but the fins angle to the outside instead of the inside like the gator!
  7. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

How do you stop the blow out its really bad on the right front side of the deck...

Wow TLS what an impressive equipment resume
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I think Tom has about the right idea. I use a very similar set-up for my Lazer. In the Spring, it's a bi-level low-lift mulching blade over top of Solid foil highlifts. (DC style - with the longer blade edge) I have the highlifts ground down even further so the blade edge comes to about 1" of the center of the blade. This lightens the blade just a touch, and makes them MUCH more aerodynamic to spin easier. Then, in the summer, I just run single solid foil highlifts (occasionally notched foils). Then, in the fall, I will run either double Gators, Gator over highlfts, or Gators over bi-level mulching blades. One thing that you will find with the Gators, is that they do NOT work well for just cutting grass. 2 problems. 1., they don't provide adequate lift. The fins are just too vented. 2., is that that have a tendency to coagulate moist grass and it tends to form small balls or wads of wet grass on the surface. You can't really notice it on a fresh cut, unless you are looking real close, but after it dries, it is certainly noticeable.
  9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Blowout on the discharge side? ......Who cares? :D The Anti-Blowout baffle STOPS it from the trimside and center, and you get a little dribble out of the discharge side. This baffle IS MANDATORY for fall leaf mowing.

I hope the resume thing wasn't sarcastic. Its all old stuff! If not, thank you.

With Gators, I've found that when they are BRAND new, and the Fins are SHARP, they do much better. When those Fins get DULL, their performance declines a LOT! And heavy wet LEAVES will wear down those FINS real QUICK!!!
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, I agree, and it doesn't seem to take that much to dull them, either. I've resharpened mine (just touched up a bit), though, with a small file or die grinder, and that makes a BIG difference. They work better than they did new, because they don't have the coat of paint over them, and they are sharper.