1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lazer Clutch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jannan, May 8, 2001.

1. jannan

jannan LawnSite Member

The electric clutch on my 97 Lazer with less than 300 hrs seems to be dieing. When the system is hot and I disengage the blades & try to re-enage them all I get is a hissing sound. Most of the time if I shut the engine down & restart I can re-engage the blades. I don't seem to have any problem when first starting up, onlyafter mowing awhile does it give me a problem. If anyone has had a similar problem, or has any knowledge of this, I would apprreciate hearing about it. Thanks!!
  2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i think somebody posted about this the other day. i think they said the normal life youll get out of the clutch was 200-300 hours. i just got a lazer so im not familiar with the problem, but i do recall somebody saying those symptoms may be a clutch going bad.
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Sorry to hear of your problems. I noticed you have not updated your profile to put in your location. Could you at least put in the state you live? If you don't know how to do this, email me with your location and I will do it for you.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That was me that posted about the clutch the other day. What mine was doing, was when I would pull the knob out, it would sometimes pop back in. Weird, huh? Well, I'm told by the dealer that it's just the switch going bad. Bring it in, and he'd give me a new one. (still haven't done that yet - seems to be working fine)
    Now for the GOOD news, Jannan. What you are experiencing is clutch slippage. Do you need a new cluth? Well, the answer is no. If it has just started doing this, and you haven't used it a whole lot in this condition, you're in good shape. All you need is an adjustment. There are three springs inside, and they need to be tightened down. I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who services Exmarks, and he said this is really not that uncommon - especially right around the 300 hour mark. Contact your dealer, or the Exmark website, and they should be able to walk you through it.