Lazer clutch

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by wildbilly1113, Apr 22, 2004.

1. wildbilly1113

wildbilly1113 LawnSite Member

Terry, I have sparks coming from my clutch when I engage the pto on my lazer 27lc kawi. It makes a yelping noise on engagement. Any suggestions? I love my exmarks! Thanks Bill

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Wildbilly,

The sparks may be normal. Most of the clutches will give off some sparks on engagement. It's probably nothing more than the slippage and friction when the clutch plates engage. Lower you engine rpm's on engagement will help reduce this.

The yelping is probably belt slippage. It's sort of like chirping the tires the company truck.

I'm just kinda guessing with out seeing how bad the sparks are or actually hearing the "yelping" noise.

Proper engagement and disengagement of the clutch should include lower the engine rpm's to 1/2 throttle (when the engine is warmed up) during engagement and lowering the throttle to idle when disengaging.

Thanks,

Terry

3. wildbilly1113

wildbilly1113 LawnSite Member

Terry,The yelping noise is from the clutch along with the sparks and the first thing I checked was the belts naturally because I just installed new oem belts.I always engage, disengage at half throttle.Is it time for a new clutch at 700 hours? Thanks

4. eXmark

Wildbilly1113,

700 hours. You are taking good care of your clutch. I've seen clutches go longer but I've seen them fail a lot qucker as well.

I've never heard a clutch "chirp" so I guess I've learned somthing new today as well. The sparks are not a big deal if it's only on engagement. If the clutches persist for more than 5 seconds that's a good indication that the clutch has quite a bit of wear and replacement or repair may be a good idea.

Thanks,

Terry

5. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Terry - Wildbilly,
    I learned shortly after I purchased my first Lazer. Engage and disengage at low RPM. I have 1165 hours on my 01 Lazer with the original clutch.

6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I have 1,400+ hours on my lazer z hp with original clutch and all seems well. Mine enguages smooth with no sound at all.

7. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

1560 hours on my original Warner clutch (Lazer Z w/ 23 Kaw)....but it is starting to not want to engage when it is real hot....like after running 45 minutes or so. I drop the rpm's and usually it engages even when hot. Always engages when cooled off. I wonder what the record is? LOL!

8. Jeffandtamara

Jeffandtamara LawnSite Member
    from KY

Having similar problems...When the Mower gets heated up a bit, the clutch does not want to engage,,,even at slow or high revs...The only recourse is to cool down....Anybody know what the problem might be???

9. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Faulty clutch maybe? Thats the only thing I can think of. By the way I now have 1,600 hours on mine and going strong.

10. eXmark

Jeff,

Generally when a clutch won't engage when it is hot or is slow to engage when it is hot is a sign that it needs replaced.

Thanks,

Terry