LAzer compared to Toro Z Master

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by gunpowder, Jan 17, 2003.

1. gunpowder

gunpowder LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I am a manager for a not-for-profit park that trades mowers every year. I have had a 1999 Lazer 25hp52", a 2000 Lazer25hp 60", 2001 Lazer 27HPLQ 60", and a 2002 Lazer 27HPLQ60". I am the only employee so I ran the above machines.

I have sold my 2002 mower and was all ready to go with EXMARK again but one of my directors recieved a quote from a local Toro dealer for a Zmaster 280 configured the same (27HPLQ 62") for a little less money. I have checked the machine out but am still not convinced one way or the other.

Never had much problems with the Exmark but the best Exmark quote is with a dealer over an hour away while the Toro dealer is 10 minutes!

I would like to talk to someone who is familiar with the two machines and especially with the Toro SFS deck. The major differances to be concerned with I see is the deck (deepness and guage of metal differs. Toro dealer claims more welding), the seat (deluxe standard on the Toro in the Z280), the frame (Guage thickness), Z stand on the Toro, and blades (Atomic/Gator vs. excalabers). The Toro Warrenty is also transferable to the next owner.

Resale value is extremely important to me as I trade every year and considering the factory not-for-profit discount have sold every machine for the price of the replacement! I usually have very low hours on the machines at the end of the season.

I like to stretch my mowing to every other week so grass may be tall and I have also been known to mow in the rain (wet grass).
    Yes, I know Toro bought Exmark.

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I bought a Toro Z Master in 2001 and was very unhappy with the performance of the SFS deck. When grass was tall and thick I had to double cut everything to get the clippings chopped up fine and to catch all the strips of grass left after the first pass. In wet grass, the SFS deck built up in the underside so bad the blades could hardly turn and nothing would discharge. I have owned many makes of 60" ZTR's, and have never seen a worse deck than that SFS piece of junk. My emplovees said SFS stands for, "Sucks for sure".:mad:

3. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm not exmark, or affliated with them in any way but i can say go with the exmark. the toro may be a little cheaper on the front end but there are several things to consider. the exmark has a better deck build and design, they make a far superior mulch kit and bagging system and the prices for accessories are a lot cheaper than any i've seen for the toro's. as far as the tractor frame and motor, they should be the same, so reliability will be near exact on both brands.

i've been saying it for a while now, just as soon as i can budget in a 52" Lazer HP with a mulch kit, it's mine!

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Gunpowder,

Thank you for the post.

Here are just a few reasons why we like the Lazer Z better.

-Maintenance free spindles vs. 8-hour service interval.

-Annual maintenance front caster wheels vs. 40-hour service interval.

-Maintenance free gel battery vs. dry cell

-Multi Track drive tires clean themselves of mud and debris better, better traction on hill and less turf damage when compared to the Turf Masters.

-Optional heavy duty bolt on striping roller Vs rubber striping flap.

-Split front cross shaft in the deck support makes deck leveling much easier and faster.

- Heavy duty front caster yoke vs. a smaller design.

-Adjustable arm rests.

-Non-spring loaded discharge chute allows you to get through gates and confined areas better during transport.

-Larger rear cross shafts in the rear deck support.

-Easier adjustment of the rear deck support makes leveling the deck easier.

-Exmark MicroMulch kit vs. the Recycler mulching kit or Z Recycler kit.

-UltraVac - debris do not pass through the impeller, mesh bags breath to help compact grass, lighter, more easily removed and better balanced.

-10 mph transport speed vs 9.5 mph.

-Standard foot lift assist vs. optional

and you mentioned the deck construction and blades I believe.

All of this is just words. You really need to demo a NEW Lazer and a NEW Z-master for yourself and make your own decision. The Toro is an excellent product but you can't blame me for thinking that the Lazer is superior, can you?

Generally you want to go with the dealer that will give you the best support. In many cases that is the guy closest and in others it may be the guy that's a little farther away.

Thank you for allowing me to try and make my case.

Terry

5. gunpowder

gunpowder LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

First, thanks for the replies I have recieved so far. This is the first day of membership/visiting here and being an experienced forum guy I appreciate the volume of feedback.

In regards to the manufacturer's reply:
    I just sold my 2002 LZ27KA60 last week. As you can see, with 4 years and 4 Exmark machines under my belt I have had alot of time test driving the Exmark. I assume the 2003 model has changed little since the changes in 2002 which I liked. That 2002 standard seat was the best yet also!

While I lean towards a new 2003 LZ27KA60, I have to honor my Directors interest and at least examine the Toro Zmaster closely.
    To challenge a few facts presented by the Exmark manufacturer here: According to the Toro dealer the Z280 comes standard with a foot deck lift. Thanks for noting the speed differance (10 vs. 9.5). I have been known to push my Exmark to the limits when mowing;D
    Many aspects you pointed out are important to me.

Unless something drasticly changes my mind, I have a lot of ammo to present my case for the continued use of the Exmark.

The most important being: If it isn't broke, why change brands. I just hope Toro keeps their hands off of the Exmark machine.

6. Don't forget the stickers, the Exmarks stickers make the mower that much better too.

7. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

Go over to the commercial mowing part of the forum and do a search and see what most think. I just bought a Lazer EPS last year after reading many post comparing diferent models. I felt that the quality of product eXmark had to offer was superior to the others. I even went to a dealer about half-hour away vs. five minutes away beause of the way I was treated, so dealer location is not everything.

I find it hard to think that you would find better support from a company than from eXmark. Notice that you basically had to ask an eXmark sponsored forum why not to buy there product vs. being able to ask TORO why you should consider them when you have not had a problem with the eXmarks. Buy the TORO, have a problem, go to the dealer and hope they get it done right. Buy the eXmark, have a problem, go to the dealer and eXmark will make sure it gets done right. It is also nice to have this place to come and ask all the little questions that you would otherwise not have an answer to. Hope this helps you.

8. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Excellent post Terry! Thanx for the info too!

9. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a leftover 26hpefi Lazer. This will be my third Lazer. I kept my 27hp Kawi as my backup for next season. I have a Toro dealer just down the road. I also have 2 exmark walk behinds. That pretty much shows what I think of Exmark. I am curious as to how many hours are on these Lazers that you sell or trade every year. They arebuilt like a tank and made to last.

10. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

...And we all thought they were the "same" mower.