Lazer control arm dampener

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by GreenQuest Lawn, Nov 2, 2001.

1. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Well I have been having a problem with the one side of my lazer not having as much speed in reverse as the other side. It slowly got worse the past month. I checked the adjustments and everything else (so I thought) and it seemed fine. Also the forward was fine so I did not think it was a pump. I was going to wait since there is only a few more weeks here.

So today as I backed on the the trailer to dump leaves, I could not back up any more (not enough drive on the one side)

So anyway I got back to the shop to do some maintenance and thought I would look at it again and see if I could find anything wrong.

I had known that I had a dampener going bad which of course can wait till winter, but when I looked at it I noticed the control arm would not hit the frame on the weak side. When I looked at the dampener I noticed on one side there is like a cap which has the opening facing up (I hope I am explaining this OK). The cap had slid down the shaft and filled with debris, which did not allow the dampener to be completely depressed.

Well thank goodness I found the problem before I paid someone else. So for now I just dug out the crud and it works fine.

So my question is, I am not sure if the crud got in there after the cap slid down or if the way it is set up mabey that dirt aided in the breaking of that dampener. I saw no reason why it could not be mounted upside down which would solve the problem of dirt getting into it. Or is there a good explanation why it is like that.

At least I know now what to look for now

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Thanks for your post. You could mount the hydraulic dampener upside-down. The only problem is that you would significantly reduce its life. Hydraulic dampeners are "direction dependent," which just means that they must be facing in a certain direction in order to do everything they are suppose to do. If you reverse the direction of the dampeners, you create a dead spot in the cylinder where fluid should be. As a result, the initial movement of the dampener is occurring without any lubrication. Dampeners like lubrication. Lubrication gooood. . .friction baaaad.

Also, with the dampeners upside-down, you don't get a full range of motion. You get full reverse and a shortened forward range of motion. This is why we orient the dampeners in this manner.

If you can clean the dust out of the cap and get it to stay into place, that's great; however, if the cap keeps falling down and collecting dust, it would be better to cut the cap off. If the cap keeps falling down and collecting dust, each time you use the dampener it will press the dust collected in the cap up against the seal. There is a potential for it to force the dust past the seal, thus resulting in a "Game Over" situation for the dampener. Does this make any sense???

We're always looking at improving the dampeners we use. If any member of has found anything that works better than our current dampeners, tell us. We'd love to hear about it. If you have any other questions, you can either respond to this post or e-mail me at

Thanks again for contacting us.

Exmark Customer Support :cool:
  3. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I understand. Well I had my pto switch go bad today so while I was there I just picked up a new dampener. The one in question is toast and yes I did just cut the cap off when i noticed it fell down.

I will keep them the right way.
  4. leaflawnandlimb

leaflawnandlimb LawnSite Member

I hope you do find a better alternative for the current dampeners, I have to replace mine about once a season, AND THEY AINT CHEAP!
  5. One other think you should keep a check on or look at, is the square head bolt on the pump input shaft, it is on the lever that controls the speed for and aft. Make sure it is tight and not much play in it. This will also cause a similer to problem to what you have discribed.
  6. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

We are currently testing some other dampeners. Unfortunately this testing takes time. We want to make sure that the new dampeners are better than the old ones before we make the switch to a different type/brand. If we find something that is better and more durable, we'll pass it on to you.

Thanks for your patience.

Exmark Customer Support