Lazer Cutting Heights

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mike Felices, Feb 9, 2001.

1. Mike Felices

Mike Felices Banned
    from Georgia

What are the best cutting heights on a Lazer HP for Fescue, Bermuda, and Zoysia? I am useing a mulch kit, if that makes any difference at all.

2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

i have the 52in lazer and I cut fescue at 3 in. inthe spring & 3 1/2 in hot sumer( doesn`t seem to brown out as bad). For the Zoysia I have found that I cut it at 3 14 in the spring, at 3 in. if there are rough-low spots it will scalp zoysia, and in the summer 3 1/4- 3 1/2. I don`t cut bermuda grass

3. Mike Felices

Mike Felices Banned
    from Georgia

Thanks. Anyone in a southern state that can tell me what they cut their grass at. 3 1/2 sounds about right for the Fescue.

4. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll probally catch hell for this but I set my mowers at 3" and leave them year round, no matter what kind of grass I'm cutting. No lower than 3" ever.

5. cutting edge

cutting edge LawnSite Member

Bermuda (as low as it will go) 1.5"

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I cut everything at 3.25". I run the mulch kits and the clippings are gone. The root dept is directly related to cutting height. You will get a deeper green out of zoysia and bermuda with higher cut. The grass will also handle the drought conditions better. It shades the soil.

7. Mike Felices

Mike Felices Banned
    from Georgia

I tried my new mower today at 3 1/2" and 3". I will say that 3 1/2 seems to be a little bit high, and 3 seems to be just a little bit low. I think that the 3 1/4 will work the best for the majority of my yards.

8. KB

KB LawnSite Member

I am also in Ga and cut fescue, bermuda, and centipede. I cut the fescue and 2 1/2 in cool months of spring and fall, and 3 in the summer. Anymore than that and customers feel it looks as though it has not been cut. I cut the bermuda at 2 1/2 and the centipede at 2. I will alter this at customer requests but this is what I have had the best success with. With my new Lazer HP, I will be able to adjust by 1/4 in. so I can experiment with those settings.