Lazer cutting out/stalling

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Expert Lawns, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 2001 48'' lazer hp with around 890 hours on it. It has started to cut out on me quite a bit. Hot weather, cool weather, flat ground, hills.....doesn't matter what I am doing, it happens in all conditions. If I fiddle with the levers (pull back or push forward) sometimes it will cut back into power. Sometimes if I stop and disengage the PTO it will cut back into power. Sometimes if I stop and put the e-brake on, it will cut back in and start working again. I really have no idea what the problem is or what I'm doing that temporarily fixes it. On average it probably cuts out about every 2-3 minutes, but sometimes it will go 5-6 lawns without doing it.

Thanks for your feedback

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Expert,

That's a tough call. Generally if it's a electical problem the unit will simply shut off and that's it. I'd suspect either the SAM module (if you have a kohler) or a fuel issue. Often when an engine is starving for fuel it will spit and sputter and seam like an electrical problem. I'd check the fuel filter as well as the fuel screens in the tank.

If it is an electrical problem I'd suspect the seat switch first......when in doubt har your dealer check it out.

Thanks,

Terry

3. chines63

chines63 LawnSite Member

I,also, have a 48" Exmark with possible valve starting to stick or burn. How can anyone tell if something is wrong? If I can fix it,I will. It sounds as if the valve sticks when I first start the machine
    no matter the time of day. Please respond as my EXMARK is my partner.

4. turftodo

turftodo LawnSite Member

i have the same problem i cant tell if its a switch problem or fuel let me know what you find out thanks jrich5@tampabay.rr.com

5. eXmark

Chinese63,

Do you have a Kawi or Kohler. If it's a kohler it's probably just the lifters and may not be a real big deal. Simply verifying your using a multi-weight oil and possibly switching brands may be all you need to do. If it still persist you'd need to have the dealer look at it. If you have a Kaw I'd recommend getting it looked at by a qualified tech asap.

Thanks

Terry

6. Expert Lawns

Could it be the fuel pump/filter? Where are these located and how often sh ould they be replaced?

7. eXmark

Expert,

The fuel filter should be replace at a minum of once per year. More often if you believe you may be getting fuel that is less than top quality.

The fuel pumps don't fail at a high regularity so I wouldn't mess with replacing one unless your sure it is the cause of your problems.

Thanks

Terry

8. Expert Lawns

where is it and how do i check it? how do i know if it is bad? is it an expensive part? i dont' think it has every been replaced so it probably wouldn't hurt

9. eXmark

Expert,

Just follow the fuel line until you see a round clear, white or red plastic piece (usually 3-4 times the diameter of the hose) and you've probably found it. You can also visit your local dealer and buy a replacement (like you said they're not expensive) and then you'll know what to look for.

Thanks

Terry

10. Expert Lawns

Terry
    Thanks for the fast replies. I will check with my dealer and see if I can't get it replaced.