1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

lazer eps cutting problems

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Dillon, May 13, 2001.

1. Dillon

Dillon LawnSite Member

I have a new Lazer EPS 60in.,it is leaving a path to the left of the center spindle. Most of the time this path is more of a different color than the rest of the cut but at times it leaves grass uncut or not cut as short as the rest of the path. My blades are sharp, deck is clean, tire preasure is correct. I even have tried the full foil blades and still have the mark, it makes my cuts look terrible. I checked my deck to see if it was level and it is off 3/8ths. of an inch from left to right. Also my left rear chain hangs loose and can't be adjusted any further, is this normal? Thanks for the help.
  2. mountainviewland

mountainviewland LawnSite Member

I have the same problems with both of my lazer's. They cut great when new but the employees got to them and now I'm having the same problem you described.
  3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Dillon & Mountainviewland,

Thanks for writing in, I'm sorry it has taken so long for me to reply, it's not that we don't care or appreciate the feedback that you are giving us, like everybody else in the industry we're extremely busy this time of the year and get to everybody as we can.
    When we hear of a deck streaking, most often it's due to improper deck rake. In your case it sounds as though it's a combination of the deck not being level, and the rake being off. At Exmark we go to great lengths to ensure decks come out of the factory level and with the correct rake, but errors do occur.
    It sounds as though the front right is set low. Assimilate how the deck is hung to a chair, if one leg is short, it will support itself on the adjacent two legs, and rock back and forth or sit on the 'heavy-side'. You may be able to bring the right front up enough to get it to level out. However I would consider looking at Section 5.2.2 Deck Leveling in your operators manual to ensure it is set correctly. Before begining to set the deck it is imperative that you ensure tire pressure is correct, blades are straight, and you're on a good level surface. Then I would do what at Exmark we call 'swinging the blades'. Turn the blades so that you match each tip up with the other, they should vary in height no more than the width of the blade. If they do, you may have a bent blade, spindle, or deck. Mountainview, considering yours cut fine new, this would be the place I would start, and then go into the deck leveling.
    Again, I apologize for taking so long to reply, but I hope this helps you out. If you have any further questions/comments don't hesitate to email us at service@exmark.com

4. jwalker

jwalker LawnSite Member

I too have the same problem and all of the remedies you suggested have been tried. It still streaks. Even if I slow down, which cuts into our productivity.

Any better suggestions?
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'm glad that I saw this, and I'm glad that I can help you guys out. I HAD the same problems, the streak that that was from the center blade laying the grass over on it's forward sweep (left side of the rotation) and I couldn't figure out for the LIFE of me what was the cause. We, the dealer dealer and myself, re did the deck and made sure it was set proper. I was running doubles at the time, and even with singles it was doing it. I tried all different blade combinations, changed the deck drive belt, and still couldn't figure it out. A rep. from Exmark even came out to see me cut on one of my jobs and see what it was doing. I was told that if they couldn't get to the bottom of it, they would try a new deck. (The machine was just bought last year) It is an EPS with a 60" deck. Now, - the remedy. It's all in the blades that you run! We (the dealer and I) did EXTENSIVE field testing, and this is what we came up with, and I've posted on several threads on the commercial lawn care forum. You have to use a SOLID FOIL highlift blade. By this, I mean it can't have that "U" cut out of the blade just on the other (in)side of the foil. These blades, for some reason, don't provide the right acoustics or air flow for the adequate lift necessary with this deep of a deck. Solid foil Exmark blades are nice, work great, and are quite a bit lighter than some other blades such as Dixie Choppers. I prefer the Dixies though, because even though they are a bit heavier, it's because they are thicker, and wear better and last longer. The main thing though, is that you make sure they are solid foils, and without that U notch in them. Personally, I run doubles with either a highlift on bottom and a Gator Magnum on top, or I run a mulching blade that has virtually NO lift on top of my High lift solid foils. This combo seems to work well, especially in this really thick, fast growing grass we have now. (11 straight days of rain here:rolleyes:) Anyway, try these, and I hope it helps. Oh yeah, enjoy your Lazers!
  6. jwalker

jwalker LawnSite Member

Where do I find the solid fiol blades?
  7. VicD1260

VicD1260 LawnSite Member