Lazer HP 44" no stripes...what setup is needed?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by ThreeWide, Oct 12, 2004.

1. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

This mower is new to me as of last week. It has no striping kit, but seeing some of the photos from users of this site, I should get some results without one.

On a lawn that I have previously striped with a Gravely WB, the Lazer will not stripe for me. The Lazer has the Excalibur blades that I assume are stock. These look like high-lift blades to me. What type of blade typically produces the best stripe?

I do know this much...my Gravely striped with standard lift blades. When I went to the high-lift the striping stopped completely.

I have no idea if the rake/pitch is set properly on the Lazer. Any suggestions on where to start?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Turf,

Grass conditions can vary from season to season, month to month and even yard to yard.

If you want to improve the stripe of the mower I would probably start with trying a set of solid airfoil blades. Next I would measure the deck rake and let me know where your at. The 48" probably likes less rake than most decks but if you get it measured I'll get with our tech guys and see which direction they want you to go. Also let me know what type of grass you're primarily cutting.

Thanks

Terry

3. ThreeWide

When you say solid airfoil blades, does that mean a standard non-high lift blade?

The type of grass is a mostly a mixture of fescue and perennial rye.

4. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

The 44" deck is the same as the 48" deck? Could it be a rpm issue?

5. ThreeWide

I followed the procedure for leveling the deck today. It was nowhere near correct as the deck was actually set about 1/2 inch lower than it should have been. The person doing the previous leveling obviously did not use the 1-5/16 and 1-1/8 blocks. I suspect the rake was off as well.

After shapening the blades and doing the leveling procedure, I now see some moderate striping. Granted this is an overcast day here, so there is no sunshine to judge the real results.

6. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Turf,

The solid airfoil blades are a high lift however they appear to offer less turbulence under then deck than the notched airfoil blade. Think of it as a more controlled lift. Playboy is correct on the engine rpm. It can play a major role in cut quality and potentially striping as well.

Thanks

Terry

7. ThreeWide

Just to follow up on this....I purchased a set of gator blades this week.

The gator blades made a big difference in striping. I will post a photo of the results here shortly.