Lazer HP 48" pricing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TurfPro, Oct 4, 2002.

1. TurfPro

TurfPro LawnSite Member

I'm looking at a Lazer HP 48" with a 20hp Kohler,,,is the price of $5800.00 about right? Or should I do some more shopping around?
    Thanks for your input

2. 5800 sounds good we gave 5900 in 2001 and 1299 for the ultra vac.Id advise go with a 52 its faster and has more trimm side on the mower deck.
    Only reason we didnt get a 52 was they didnt have one in stock and no full size lazers either and we needed a mower right then so we settled for the 48.
    Thats not to say the 48 is a bad mower its not it cuts and stripes just so good as the bigger ones just isnt quite as fast and less trimm side is all.

Ours has a 19 kawasaki

3. joehar

joehar LawnSite Member
    from memphis

thats a good price,i too have a 48 w/20 kohler.i had a 44 w/19 kawi last year that was stronger though. personal preference,but wish i would have bought the kawi and52 deck.

4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm one of the few here who advocates considering a smaller frame 48" HP vs a full size 52" or bigger. for the advantages:

1. lighter, less potential damage to turf.
    2. 48" hp still has a trim edge. I can trim anything, I don't know why some others think you can't trim as well with it. Just takes a little more practice.
    3. A 48" deck will fit through a higher proportion of backyard gates than a 52", and smaller size is better on small properties for various reasons.
    4. 52" with more overhang is good for trmming, but proportionally more likely to scalp if you drop a tire into a dip...tire width equal to deck width is optimal for smooth cut w/o gouging. I think the 48" is a good compromise.
    5. 44" has zero trimming side, and may not be able to fit an exmark cloth bagger on the side due to rear tire...check and see.

If you do big wide open swaths of grass like some I've seen here, go for a big deck. But if you do a lot of typical subdivision lawns, test the HP .